HTML reflecting text question - newbie HOWTO?

rf

Toby Inkster said:
What a truly beautiful colour scheme.

<checks, out of interest/>

ZOWWEEE.

<puts eyes back in head/>

Toby and expecially Mr D, do you either of you wear glasses? I do, 1.5 in
one eye in 2.0 in the other.

Point 1: Due to the differing refractive coefficients certain colours get
bent more that others at an air/glass interface.

Point 2: Red and blue (as generated by a computer screen) are as far apart
(in frequency) as you can get.

Combine point 1 and point 2 and you get a three dimensional effect. The red
"background" actually stands out closer to me than the blue text, by,
perceptually, half an inch or so.

The green softens the effect a little. I hate to consider what would happen
without the green.

<tinkers/>

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/temp/red.html

For me this page is extremely painfull to look at, especially if the
different colours checkerboard (at the right viewport width). In fact the
effect is so great that I can only look it it for a few tens of seconds
before the words start flying all round the place.

What is really odd is that this page I am typing on right now (which
overlaps the offending web page) actually slides between the red words and
the blue ones.

Point to consider: If you wish to drive anybody who wears glasses away from
your page then use these colours :)

Travis Newbury

Anon said:
Hi, please excuse this if the question has come up with monotony. But I
cannot find the answer.

I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one. Can I do
this in HTML?

Flash is your friend...

Duende

While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:
<checks, out of interest/>

ZOWWEEE.

<puts eyes back in head/>

You needed to take them out for cleaning anyway. You should thank me.
Toby and expecially Mr D, do you either of you wear glasses?

Yup, I sure do.

Toby Inkster

rf said:
Toby and expecially Mr D, do you either of you wear glasses?

Yes -- dark ones. And I walk around with a white cane and a labrador. Why
do you ask?

Andrew Donaldson

Anon said:
I want to display the mirror image of a sentence, like this one.

Depending on your situation, SVG might be the solution. If it's for your
use only or for an intranet where you can ensure your browsers have the
appropriate plug-ins (or less likely, native support) then a text object
containing whatever text you want can be transformed almost whatever way
you want. This includes reflecting the text with the bonus that like
your other text it can be styled with CSS, selected, resized with the
rest of the document and probably some other desirable advantages as well.

Unfortunately, the requirement for most browsers to have a plug-in
installed and other problems of support at the moment mean that SVG is
probably not a practical solution for you on the WWW. As I recall,
printing is a problem from at least some browsers too.

Andrew

Guest

From: (e-mail address removed) (Anon)
Nothing fancy, just a home website with
a few headings. I am wanting,
somehow, to display the heading in a
fancy font and then underneath it
display the reflected text with a shimmer
like a reflection in a pond.
Thanks

Although an image is best, you can make a mirror image with HTML:

This is a test abcdefg<br />
This is a test abcdefg

To do a horizontal flip, use fliph instead of flipv.

rf

DJMike Spam Hater said:
This is a test abcdefg

Which, being a microsoft invention, only works for IE and is therefore
unsuitable for the WWW.