html shtml

Helpful person

Could someone tell me if there is any real difference between the two
suffuxes? I know of one, which is that on my server to use server
side includes requires shtml.

www.richardfisher.com

Harlan Messinger

Helpful said:
Could someone tell me if there is any real difference between the two
suffuxes? I know of one, which is that on my server to use server
side includes requires shtml.

Exactly, that's the difference. Do you think that that's a "fake"
difference?

Jonathan N. Little

Helpful said:
Could someone tell me if there is any real difference between the two
suffuxes?

Yes, an 's'

I know of one, which is that on my server to use server
side includes requires shtml.

Yes, most servers are setup to identify which documents are static HTML
(*.html) versus those requiring server side include processing (*.shtml)
Similarly with PHP using (*.php). It is an economy thing, why bother
troubling the server looking to parse the document looking for SSI or
PHP to process when it is a simple static HTML document?

Andy Dingley

Could someone tell me if there is any real difference between the two
suffuxes?

Yes and no.

No, if you mean a suffix(sic) in a URL.

Yes, if you mean a file extension to a piece of content stored in a
web server's filesystem. The difference is visible to the web server
and the web server's configuration might be (and frequently is)
different for each file type. As you say:
 I know of one, which is that on my server to use server
side includes requires shtml.

The problem with this is that it introduces "coupling" (a software
design term) between the URLs to pages and their implementation. If
you want to re-implement a page that was previously static into
something more dynamic, then the URL to it would need to change and so
would all the referring links. For this reason it's now generally
considered good practice to hide this sort of detail from URLs and
keep it "under the hood".

Helpful person

Yes and no.

No, if you mean a suffix(sic) in a URL.

Yes, if you mean a file extension to a piece of content stored in a
web server's filesystem. The difference is visible to the web server
and the web server's configuration might be (and frequently is)
different for each file type. As you say:

The problem with this is that it introduces "coupling" (a software
design term) between the URLs to pages and their implementation. If
you want to re-implement a page that was previously static into
something more dynamic, then the URL to it would need to change and so
would all the referring links. For this reason it's now generally
considered good practice to hide this sort of detail from URLs and
keep it "under the hood".

It would have been nice if I didn't have to change from html to shtml
for my web site. I rewrote the site (previously FrontPage) and as I
used server side includes needed (for my host) to change the
extensions. Then I had to have several new pages (html extension) to
redirect to the new pages (shtml) so that the search engines can still
find me. A bit messy but not too much work.

www.richardfisher.com

MotzaBall

It would have been nice if I didn't have to change from html to shtml
for my web site. I rewrote the site (previously FrontPage) and as I
used server side includes needed (for my host) to change the
extensions. Then I had to have several new pages (html extension) to
redirect to the new pages (shtml) so that the search engines can still
find me. A bit messy but not too much work.

www.richardfisher.com

You don't have to do all that.

AddType text/html .shtml .shtm .htm .html
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml .shtm .htm .html

Put that in your htaccess file and it'll parse the ssi into the pages.

Helpful person

You don't have to do all that.

AddType text/html .shtml .shtm .htm .html
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml .shtm .htm .html

Put that in your htaccess file and it'll parse the ssi into the pages.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, I'll check it out. (I assume the htaccess file is a file held
by my host.)

www.richardfisher.com