HTML source in Google

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Daniel Hjerholm, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. Daniel Hjerholm, Mar 11, 2005

  2. Daniel Hjerholm

    Oli Filth Guest

    Daniel Hjerholm wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I have made a web page (www.brettshaping.com). When google list some of the
    > sub pages, the HTML source appears instead of a preview of the text in my
    > page. Klick on the link below to see what i mean (scroll to the bottom og
    > the page):
    > http://www.google.no/search?q= site:www.brettshaping.com seilbrett&hl=no&lr=
    > &start=0&sa=N&filter=0
    >
    > Why does this happen? Is there some error in my source that causes this?
    > What can I do about it?

    If you look at the pages that Google have cached (e.g.
    http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cach...m site:www.brettshaping.com seilbrett&hl=no),
    you'll see that they're shown as things like:

    < H T M L >
    < H E A D >
    < T I T L E > S h a p i n g ... etc. etc. etc.

    i.e. a whitespace after every character.

    Your page is encoded as UTF-16, i.e. two 8-bit bytes per symbol. As
    you're only using characters from the ASCII set, what you're seeing
    would tally with Google interpreting your page as UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1 (I
    think. Someone may want to correct me on this! ;) ).

    Is it possible that at some point your server was not configured to
    output HTML with the correct charset? If Google cached the page at this
    point, it may have defaulted to an 8-bit charset, hence the result
    you're seeing.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Daniel Hjerholm

    Dave Patton Guest

    "Daniel Hjerholm" <> wrote in

    > Hi all.
    >
    > I have made a web page (www.brettshaping.com). When google list some
    > of the sub pages, the HTML source appears instead of a preview of the
    > text in my page. Klick on the link below to see what i mean (scroll to
    > the bottom og the page):
    > http://www.google.no/search?q= site:www.brettshaping.com seilbrett&hl=n
    > o&lr= &start=0&sa=N&filter=0
    >
    > Why does this happen? Is there some error in my source that causes
    > this? What can I do about it?

    Maybe either a glitch at Google's end, or maybe there
    was a problem with your server. Look at Google's
    cached version of your page(s) with the problem.
    It tells you when Google retrieved the page.
    Maybe you can then use your server logs to figure
    out if it was a problem at your end.

    --
    Dave Patton
    http://www.confluence.org/

    Dave Patton, Mar 11, 2005

    http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:rAIRSd86w3QJ:www.brettshaping.com/toppl
    aminat.htm++site:www.brettshaping.com seilbrett&hl=no),
    > you'll see that they're shown as things like:
    >
    > < H T M L >
    > < H E A D >
    > < T I T L E > S h a p i n g ... etc. etc. etc.
    >
    > i.e. a whitespace after every character.
    >
    > Your page is encoded as UTF-16, i.e. two 8-bit bytes per symbol. As
    > you're only using characters from the ASCII set, what you're seeing
    > would tally with Google interpreting your page as UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1 (I
    > think. Someone may want to correct me on this! ;) ).
    >
    > Is it possible that at some point your server was not configured to
    > output HTML with the correct charset? If Google cached the page at this
    > point, it may have defaulted to an 8-bit charset, hence the result
    > you're seeing.
    >
    > --
    > Oli

    Hi!

    You were right! Notepad automatically saved the pages with Unicode encoding
    because they contained some special characters. I have now saved them with
    ANSI encoding. The special characters are still there, so I don't know why
    Notepad didn't want to use Unicode in the first place.

    Anyway, thanks for your quick reply.

    Daniel

    Daniel Hjerholm, Mar 11, 2005