    issue? If so, any clue why and/or how it can be fixed?

    Thanks a ton in advance,
    Dan

    Dan Groberg, Jan 30, 2007

  2. On 29 Jan 2007 19:49:03 -0800, "Dan Groberg" <>
    wrote:

    > Hey guys,
    > I was wondering if you could check something out for me. I have
    > inserted spaces using code onto my site thenews.choate.edu

    Hi,
    I can't see any #x0020 in your page but do you know you have an extra
    <head> and <body> section ?

    --
    Steven

    Steven Saunderson, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Dan Groberg

    Dan Guest

    On Jan 29, 10:49 pm, "Dan Groberg" <> wrote:
    > Hey guys,
    > I was wondering if you could check something out for me. I have
    > inserted spaces using code onto my site thenews.choate.edu
    > (for Click Here for RSS Feed under front page image) and it seems to
    > be showing up as text on my IE7. Can you see if you're having the same
    > issue? If so, any clue why and/or how it can be fixed?

    I saw some code like "&#x20&#x20&#x20&#x20", which leaves out the
    semicolon; it's a good idea to use the semicolon even if in some cases
    (maybe this one) it's permissible to leave it out. Why encode spaces
    anyway? If what you're aiming for is a nonbreaking space, you need
    &nbsp; or   ( ) anyway.

    A bogus reference you're also using is "•", which is in the range
    from 128 through 159 which is undefined for use in HTML (it's in a set
    of control characters in Unicode). You seem to be expecting it to
    mean the character that is in that position in a proprietary platform-
    specific character set.

    Some more code that ought to be taken out and shot:

    Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1"></u><a href="/arts.shtml">Arts

    Note the setting of a serif font, overridden immediately by a nested
    font tag setting a sans-serif one; it's then followed by a closing tag
    for an underline element (no opening tag in sight).

    --
    Dan

    Dan, Jan 30, 2007
  4. Dan Groberg

    Dan Groberg Guest

    Thats odd. I only see one head and one body.

    <head>
    <title>The News - The Newspaper of Choate Rosemary Hall</title>
    charset=iso-8859-1">
    <!--
    ..search { font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Verdana; background-color:
    #999999; font-size: 8pt; border: 1px #666666 solid}
    ..searchbox { border: 1px #999999 dotted; font-family: Verdana, Arial,
    Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: x-small; padding-top: 2px; padding-
    right: 2px; padding-bottom: 2px; padding-left: 2px; font-weight: bold;
    background-image: url(/new/search/grey.jpg); color: #000066}
    -->
    <!--
    <!-- Copyright 2003 Bontrager Connection, LLC
    // See article "Changing Form Action URLs On-The-Fly" linked
    // from URL http://willmaster.com/possibilities/archives
    // for more information about how to use this code.
    function ActionDeterminator()
    {
    if(document.myform.reason[0].checked == true) {
    document.myform.action = 'http://www.google.com/search';
    document.myform.method = 'get';
    }
    if(document.myform.reason[1].checked == true) {
    document.myform.action = '/cgi-bin/news/searchnews.pl?dosearch';
    }
    return true;
    }
    // -->
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />
    </head>

    marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" background="/new/bg_overall.jpg"
    link="#000066" vlink="#000066"

    Dan Groberg, Jan 30, 2007
  5. On 29 Jan 2007 21:42:31 -0800, "Dan Groberg" <>
    wrote:

    > Thats odd. I only see one head and one body.

    I just checked again. The URL is <http://thenews.choate.edu/> and I
    have saved the response at <http://phelum.net/temp/dan.htm>.

    After the <body> there is a table that contains <td
    valign="middle" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" width="220"><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC
    "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

    It looks like you are including another document in your page.

    HTH

    --
    Steven

    Steven Saunderson, Jan 30, 2007
  6. Scripsit Dan:

    > I saw some code like "&#x20&#x20&#x20&#x20", which leaves out the
    > semicolon; it's a good idea to use the semicolon even if in some cases
    > (maybe this one) it's permissible to leave it out.

    It's a particularly good idea because the authors of IE 7 decided to make it
    even less HTML 4.01 conformant than it used to be in this respect. By all
    HTML specifications up to and including HTML 4.01, you can omit the REFC,
    reference close (that's SGML jargon for the semicolon here), whenever the
    character reference is not followed by a name character. And "&" ain't no
    name character by HTML rules. XHTML changes this by making the semicolon
    required, and IE 7, madly enough, decided to follow suit - despite it's
    unwillingness to support XHTML! As if this were not mad enough, IE 7 imposes
    the rule on some types of character or entity references only.

    To maintain mental sanity, thus, close your references with the magic
    semicolon. Too bad there are probably millions of pages that lack such
    semicolons; for no good reason, IE 7 decided to break them.

    > Why encode spaces anyway?

    Beats me. To participate in an HTML obfuscation contest? :)

    > If what you're aiming for is a nonbreaking space, you need
    > &nbsp; or   ( ) anyway.

    Well, I can write the no-break character as such. A single, nice-looking
    character (which drives chicks crazy, you know). On my keyboard, I just hit
    AltGr space for this (when I have the keyboard set to Finnish Multilingual).
    Of course I need to know how to work with a document containing such
    characters as plain data, but I do - I've done that since the early 1990s.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 30, 2007
  7. Dan Groberg

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Dan:
    >
    >> I saw some code like "&#x20&#x20&#x20&#x20", which leaves out the
    >> semicolon; it's a good idea to use the semicolon even if in some cases
    >> (maybe this one) it's permissible to leave it out.

    > It's a particularly good idea because the authors of IE 7 decided to
    > make it even less HTML 4.01 conformant than it used to be in this
    > respect. By all HTML specifications up to and including HTML 4.01, you
    > can omit the REFC, reference close (that's SGML jargon for the semicolon
    > here), whenever the character reference is not followed by a name
    > character. And "&" ain't no name character by HTML rules. XHTML changes
    > this by making the semicolon required, and IE 7, madly enough, decided
    > to follow suit - despite it's unwillingness to support XHTML! As if this
    > were not mad enough, IE 7 imposes the rule on some types of character or
    > entity references only.
    >
    > To maintain mental sanity, thus, close your references with the magic
    > semicolon. Too bad there are probably millions of pages that lack such
    > semicolons; for no good reason, IE 7 decided to break them.
    >
    >> Why encode spaces anyway?

    > Beats me. To participate in an HTML obfuscation contest? :)

    Oooh! Fabulous! A new acronym is born: HOC = HTML Obfuscation
    Contest!!! Can I play?

    Nah, never mind. I'm already confused, no need to formalize it.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 31, 2007
  8. Scripsit Ed Mullen:

    > A new acronym is born: HOC = HTML Obfuscation
    > Contest!!! Can I play?

    Yes, be my guest. I think we just coined a new meaning for the common phrase
    "ad hoc solution".

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/