HTML table in Excel with line feed in cell

McKirahan

I an using ASP to read a database table and generate an HTML table
which is save via FSO with a file extension of .xls which opens up
in MS-Excel. I am inserting several lines of text into a cell and would
like to force a line break between them.

I recorded an MS-Excel macro so see how Alt-Enter was captured
which turned out to be Chr(10) which is the same as vbLf (right?)

I tried inserting that in character in the text but it didn't show up as
a line break in MS-Excel.. Can anyone assist? Thanks in advance.

Mike Brind

McKirahan said:
I an using ASP to read a database table and generate an HTML table
which is save via FSO with a file extension of .xls which opens up
in MS-Excel. I am inserting several lines of text into a cell and would
like to force a line break between them.

I recorded an MS-Excel macro so see how Alt-Enter was captured
which turned out to be Chr(10) which is the same as vbLf (right?)

I tried inserting that in character in the text but it didn't show up as
a line break in MS-Excel.. Can anyone assist? Thanks in advance.

Try vbCrLf

McKirahan

Mike Brind said:

Mike, thanks for trying.

I'm trying to simulate Excel's Alt+Enter to force word-wrap within a cell.

Here's an example of the generated HTML table:

If you open it up in Excel you see that it's on three rows ont one.

Mike Brind

McKirahan said:
Mike, thanks for trying.

I'm trying to simulate Excel's Alt+Enter to force word-wrap within a cell.

Then you need to simulate Excel. Create a file in the way that you want it,
save it as html then open the result in Notepad. You'll see it has it's own
CSS declarations. I'm no expert on CSS, but clearly one of the rules
(nowrap said:
Here's an example of the generated HTML table:

If you open it up in Excel you see that it's on three rows ont one.

The following gets you what you want:

xmlns:x="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:excel"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<head>
<!--table
{mso-displayed-decimal-separator:"\.";
mso-displayed-thousand-separator:"\,";}
@page
{margin:1.0in .75in 1.0in .75in;
mso-header-margin:.5in;
mso-footer-margin:.5in;}
tr
{mso-height-source:auto;}
col
{mso-width-source:auto;}
br
{mso-data-placement:same-cell;}
..style0
{mso-number-format:General;
text-align:general;
vertical-align:bottom;
white-space:nowrap;
mso-rotate:0;
mso-background-source:auto;
mso-pattern:auto;
color:windowtext;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-weight:400;
font-style:normal;
text-decoration:none;
font-family:Arial;
mso-generic-font-family:auto;
mso-font-charset:0;
border:none;
mso-protection:locked visible;
mso-style-name:Normal;
mso-style-id:0;}
td
{mso-style-parent:style0;
padding-top:1px;
padding-right:1px;
padding-left:1px;
mso-ignore:padding;
color:windowtext;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-weight:400;
font-style:normal;
text-decoration:none;
font-family:Arial;
mso-generic-font-family:auto;
mso-font-charset:0;
mso-number-format:General;
text-align:general;
vertical-align:bottom;
border:none;
mso-background-source:auto;
mso-pattern:auto;
mso-protection:locked visible;
white-space:nowrap;
mso-rotate:0;}
..xl24
{mso-style-parent:style0;
white-space:normal;}
-->
</head>

style='border-collapse:
collapse;table-layout:fixed;width:48pt'>
<col width=64 style='width:48pt'>
2<br>
3</td>

McKirahan

Mike Brind said:
Then you need to simulate Excel. Create a file in the way that you want it,
save it as html then open the result in Notepad. You'll see it has it's own
CSS declarations. I'm no expert on CSS, but clearly one of the rules
(nowrap, perhaps?) forces <br> to be parsed as chr(10).

[...]

style='height:38.25pt;width:48pt'>1 said:
2<br>
3</td>

Thank you!

I took your advice -- I created a simple Excel file and saved it as HTML.

The key piece seems to be:

br { mso-data-placement:same-cell; }

as this gives me what I want:

<head>