HTML::TableExtract w. perl 5.10

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Marko Riedel, Sep 28, 2012.

  1. Marko Riedel

    Marko Riedel Guest

    Greetings to all.

    the following issue does not occur with perl 5.12, unfortunately I have
    to work with 5.10 at my installation and I don't have the administration
    rights just to upgrade my perl.

    The version is:
    "This is perl, v5.10.0 built for x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi".

    I am trying to use HTML::TableExtract on an ISO-8859-1 encoded file. The
    extraction works, the data are precisely what I want, but I always get a
    warning, namely that "Parsing of undecoded UTF-8 will give garbage when
    decoding entities".

    Is there anything other than turning warnings off locally that I can do
    to supress this warning? Or does this module not work with
    latin1-encoded data? I also tried invoking utf8_mode(0), to no avail.

    My version of HTML::parser is 3.69 and of HTML::TableExtract 2.10.

    Best regards,

    Marko Riedel
    Marko Riedel, Sep 28, 2012

  2. Marko Riedel

    Marko Riedel Guest

    Ben Morrow <> writes:

    > Quoth Marko Riedel <>:
    >>
    >> I am trying to use HTML::TableExtract on an ISO-8859-1 encoded file. The
    >> extraction works, the data are precisely what I want, but I always get a
    >> warning, namely that "Parsing of undecoded UTF-8 will give garbage when
    >> decoding entities".
    >>
    >> Is there anything other than turning warnings off locally that I can do
    >> to supress this warning? Or does this module not work with
    >> latin1-encoded data? I also tried invoking utf8_mode(0), to no avail.

    > Please post a *minimal* example of a program which exhibits this
    > behaviour.
    >
    > Ben

    Greetings.

    I will work on that, it's not that easy as the program is complex. In
    the meantime, does anyone know how to get HTML::parser to output the
    position and the value of the offending byte sequence? I installed it in
    my home directory so I can modify the source if necessary. The warning
    is easy to find.

    This looks tricky. Like I mentioned the code works fine with Perl 5.12.

    Regards,

    Marko
    Marko Riedel, Sep 28, 2012