Html-tables-merging rows in a column

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dylan Parry, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", R D S finally
    proclaimed:

    > Any ideas how to do this would be appreciated.

    Firstly, you need to look up the rowspan and colspan attributes for the
    td/th attributes. Secondly, what are you actually trying to achieve with
    this, because there may be a better way of doing it ;)

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Usenet: The first post is free, but the next will cost you your soul.

    Dylan Parry, Nov 25, 2005

  2. Dylan Parry

    R D S Guest

    Hi,

    I want 3 columns in a table,
    Col's 1 and 2 need 4 rows each, but the third column I want to only have one
    row so I can put a pic in it which spans all the rows, is this poss?
    Or do I need 2 tables side by side, or can I dictate the width of one table
    and have a pic to the right of it?

    Any ideas how to do this would be appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Rick

    --
    http://www.justrimless.com/catalog
    Discount rimless and semi rimless prescription eyewear

    R D S, Nov 25, 2005

  3. Dylan Parry

    R D S Guest

    "Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message
    > Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", R D S finally
    > proclaimed:
    >
    > > Any ideas how to do this would be appreciated.

    > Firstly, you need to look up the rowspan and colspan attributes for the
    > td/th attributes. Secondly, what are you actually trying to achieve with
    > this, because there may be a better way of doing it ;)
    >
    > --
    > Dylan Parry
    > http://webpageworkshop.co.uk -- FREE Web tutorials and references
    >
    > Usenet: The first post is free, but the next will cost you your soul.

    If you look on my front page at justrimless.com I have 4 images with some
    text next to them in a table, then to the right of all this I have put a pic
    of a girl. It seems to work reasonable well using align="right on the image,
    I will fiddle with the text size and check a couple of screen res's to see
    how it does.
    In IE I seem to have a bit of overlapping but not in Firefox, is this just
    the way they handle tables differently? I cant tell which I prefer.

    Thanks for any input,
    Rick

    R D S, Nov 25, 2005
  4. Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", R D S finally
    proclaimed:

    > In IE I seem to have a bit of overlapping but not in Firefox, is this
    > just the way they handle tables differently? I cant tell which I
    > prefer.

    That /effect/ shouldn't be happening, and I am not sure what exactly the
    cause of it is, but you would be well advised to run the site through a
    validator[1] to pick up some of the more obvious HTML errors[2]. Once
    the errors are cleared up, and if the problem is still there, then I
    might be able to see what's going on ;)

    ________
    [1] http://validator.w3.org
    [2] Of which there are 33, with several being missing tags.

    Dylan Parry, Nov 25, 2005
  5. Dylan Parry

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:29:56 -0000, "R D S" <> wrote:

    : Hi,
    :
    : I want 3 columns in a table,
    : Col's 1 and 2 need 4 rows each, but the third column I want to only have one
    : row so I can put a pic in it which spans all the rows, is this poss?
    : Or do I need 2 tables side by side, or can I dictate the width of one table
    : and have a pic to the right of it?
    :
    : Any ideas how to do this would be appreciated.

    Read up about rowspan.
    http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_table_span

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Nov 26, 2005