    determination algorithm.

    Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

    Loïc

    l612, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Ethan Schlenker, Jan 28, 2004

  3. On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:09:35 +0100, l612 wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any possibility to have an html table "row" that spreads over
    > more than one line ?
    >
    > A row with many columns ordinarily leads to an horizontal scrollbar. A
    > carriage return would be better. But simply closing the row and opening
    > a new row implies that in the first column, the two cells from the two
    > rows have the same width, ie probably the same type, on so on for the
    > second, third ... columns. A possibility one might think about would be
    > to open a new table for each line, which eliminates the first problem.
    > But the theader and tfoot functionality is lost in this case, not to
    > mention other misalignments problems due to the navigator's width
    > determination algorithm.

    Your main objection seems to be the horizontal scrollbar that comes up for
    wide content. Unless you're doing something else to make the rest of your
    content wider, the table should be the only element wider than the
    viewport[0]. Personally, I don't see that as a problem.

    [0] Asciimatic diagram:

    +--viewport--------+
    | text text text |
    | words words text |
    | |
    | ---table-------------------------- this is the only horizontal
    | | column 1 | column 2 | column n | <-- scrolling part, the rest of
    | ---------------------------------- the page fits in one screen
    | |
    | next paragraph |
    | of more text |

    --
    Some say the Wired doesn't have political borders like the real world,
    but there are far too many nonsense-spouting anarchists or idiots who

    Owen Jacobson, Jan 29, 2004