html tag: keep screen & print layout the same

SWE

I'm looking for an html tag, it might be kind of old, but I'm pretty sure
I've seen it before. The tag forces everything between the open and close
tag to print the same way it is laid out on the screen.

I have a very plain page that needs to print the same way it is laid out on
the screen. I don't want to create an alternate printing page. The problem
I'm having is that the line spacing and cell spacing looks fine on screen,
but when I print it out, all the spacing disappears and all lines and rows
are squashed up next to each other.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

Matthias Gutfeldt

SWE said:
I'm looking for an html tag, it might be kind of old, but I'm pretty sure
I've seen it before. The tag forces everything between the open and close
tag to print the same way it is laid out on the screen.

I have a very plain page that needs to print the same way it is laid out on
the screen. I don't want to create an alternate printing page. The problem
I'm having is that the line spacing and cell spacing looks fine on screen,
but when I print it out, all the spacing disappears and all lines and rows
are squashed up next to each other.

Hmm, hmmm. Could it be you're thinking of PRE:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#edef-PRE>, for simple text ?

If not, all legal HTML4.01 elements are listed here:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/elements.html>.

You could of course also use a print stylesheet to make suggestions for
printing.

Matthias

SWE

Maybe that was it, but I'm not using plain text. I'll check out the other
link.

If anybody else has any thoughts, please share. Thanks!

SWE said:
[...]

Jukka K. Korpela

SWE said:
Maybe that was it, but I'm not using plain text.

Huh? Please consider learning a constructive way to post:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html
Followups trimmed.

You're actually looking for certain obsolete tags. Rest assured that
you're in a better position when you don't know them. Just see what <pre>
means, and just replace "<" and "&" by entities when needed. See the FAQs
for more info. If problems remain, post a URL that illustrates what you
are really doing.