HTML - Template, change only one copy for all files

imh bychua

Hi

i am planning to create a data dictionary document using HTML. I am
using MS Word as editor.

i wish to create a content page with hyperlink to each data field
definition.

eg main.html
===========
1) Field 1 Char To store age
2) Field 2 Char To store name
3) Field 3 Date To store DOB

each field will be hyperlink a html file itself. eg F1.html,F2.html
etc

in each Fx.html file, my layout at present is :

Section 1 : Difintion
Section 2 : Checks
Section 3 : Code description

My question :
==============
If in the near future, i wish to add it Section 1.1 and Section 4 to
the layout. I can edit the content of the new sections for the
different data fields though.

may i know is there a way for me to change just 1 layout template
instead of adding these new sections 1 by 1
in all the Fx.html files ? The number of data fields can go into
hundreds.

I wish to plan it now so that i do not have to go thru massive
maintenance effort later.

thank you
Boon Yiang

BootNic

Hi

i am planning to create a data dictionary document using HTML. I am
using MS Word as editor.

Good luck with that.

While I can see how you may think this is a HTML question … it is
really an office question. Try
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/flyoutoverview.mspx

[snip]
I wish to plan it now so that i do not have to go thru massive
maintenance effort later.

IMHO If you wish to avoid a massive maintenance, perhaps Office is not
for you.

--
BootNic Fri Feb 19, 2010 08:26 am
Humor is an affirmation of dignity, a declaration of man's

â• 143 days remaining

SAZ

[...]

First, don't use Word as an editor. You will experience many issues in
the future.

This is time consuming, but easier than you think it may be. I would use
PHP and mySQL, and get away from any Office Product for this purpose.