HTML - Template, change only one copy for all files

Discussion in 'HTML' started by imh bychua, Feb 19, 2010.

  1. imh bychua

    imh bychua Guest

    Hi

    i am planning to create a data dictionary document using HTML. I am
    using MS Word as editor.

    i wish to create a content page with hyperlink to each data field
    definition.

    eg main.html
    ===========
    1) Field 1 Char To store age
    2) Field 2 Char To store name
    3) Field 3 Date To store DOB

    each field will be hyperlink a html file itself. eg F1.html,F2.html
    etc

    in each Fx.html file, my layout at present is :

    Section 1 : Difintion
    Section 2 : Checks
    Section 3 : Code description

    My question :
    ==============
    If in the near future, i wish to add it Section 1.1 and Section 4 to
    the layout. I can edit the content of the new sections for the
    different data fields though.

    may i know is there a way for me to change just 1 layout template
    instead of adding these new sections 1 by 1
    in all the Fx.html files ? The number of data fields can go into
    hundreds.

    I wish to plan it now so that i do not have to go thru massive
    maintenance effort later.

    thank you
    Boon Yiang

    imh bychua, Feb 19, 2010

  2. imh bychua

    BootNic Guest

    On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 03:31:34 -0800 (PST)
    imh bychua <> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > i am planning to create a data dictionary document using HTML. I am
    > using MS Word as editor.

    Good luck with that.

    While I can see how you may think this is a HTML question … it is
    really an office question. Try
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/flyoutoverview.mspx

    [snip]

    > I wish to plan it now so that i do not have to go thru massive
    > maintenance effort later.

    IMHO If you wish to avoid a massive maintenance, perhaps Office is not
    for you.

    --
    BootNic Fri Feb 19, 2010 08:26 am
    Humor is an affirmation of dignity, a declaration of man's

    â• 143 days remaining

    BootNic, Feb 19, 2010

  3. imh bychua

    SAZ Guest

    In article <d37b366e-8b12-4359-b5fe-
    >, says...
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > i am planning to create a data dictionary document using HTML. I am
    > using MS Word as editor.
    >

    > i wish to create a content page with hyperlink to each data field
    > definition.
    >

    > eg main.html
    > ===========
    > 1) Field 1 Char To store age
    > 2) Field 2 Char To store name
    > 3) Field 3 Date To store DOB
    >

    > each field will be hyperlink a html file itself. eg F1.html,F2.html
    > etc
    >

    > in each Fx.html file, my layout at present is :
    >

    > Section 1 : Difintion
    > Section 2 : Checks
    > Section 3 : Code description
    >

    > My question :
    > ==============
    > If in the near future, i wish to add it Section 1.1 and Section 4 to
    > the layout. I can edit the content of the new sections for the
    > different data fields though.
    >

    > may i know is there a way for me to change just 1 layout template
    > instead of adding these new sections 1 by 1
    > in all the Fx.html files ? The number of data fields can go into
    > hundreds.
    >

    > I wish to plan it now so that i do not have to go thru massive
    > maintenance effort later.
    >

    > thank you
    > Boon Yiang

    First, don't use Word as an editor. You will experience many issues in
    the future.

    This is time consuming, but easier than you think it may be. I would use
    PHP and mySQL, and get away from any Office Product for this purpose.

    SAZ, Feb 19, 2010