html templates

Ajay

hi!

i am looking for a framework to create a fast dynamic website. between
using Cheetah and HTMLTemplate which would you recommend?
also quixote offers a session management API? how secure is this session
management? is it just a cookie on the client side?

thanks

cheers
ajay

Leif K-Brooks

Ajay said:
i am looking for a framework to create a fast dynamic website. between
using Cheetah and HTMLTemplate which would you recommend?

I'm using Cheetah for a project, and I love it. I've never tried
HTMLTemplate, though.

Tim Roberts

Ajay said:
i am looking for a framework to create a fast dynamic website. between
using Cheetah and HTMLTemplate which would you recommend?

This is such a personal decision. It really depends on what appears to
you.

I like Cheetah's templating language a lot. I use Webware as my web app
server, but I use Cheetah for doing the templates instead of the Webware
PSP.

For a small dynamic site, however, I could learn to like CherryPy as well.
You compile the whole web site along with a simple web server into a single
script.
also quixote offers a session management API? how secure is this session
management? is it just a cookie on the client side?

"Just" a cookie? How would you do session management more securely?

Ajay

"Just" a cookie? How would you do session management more securely?

well what i really meant is whether the data is just kept on the cookie or
is a hash of the data (and some random string) also stored. or do you
store the name of a tmp file on the cookie and the file itself contains
the session data.
i think i'll give cheetah a try

cheers

?

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Pierre-Fr=E9d=E9ric_Caillaud?=

I tried Cheetah and found it to be a bit slow. Maybe it has too many
features. The template language is great, though.

For speed, I'd recommend mod_python + psyco

Tim Roberts

Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud said:
I tried Cheetah and found it to be a bit slow. Maybe it has too many
features. The template language is great, though.

There is some code in the WebWare wiki that demonstrates how to cache
Cheetah templates, so they only get recompiled when they change. That can
help performance on sites that rarely change.