HTML Text Editor and Netscape problem

Gerard Bagwin

I began creating a website using BBEdit on my Mac G3 (OS 8.6). The
computer was completely outdated, by today's standards, my G4 (OS 9.1)
refuses to connect to the internet anymore no matter what I do, and I
_really_ dislike OS X. So with a few clicks on eBay and a week or so
of waiting, I am now the proud owner of a IBM NetVista 6790 (P4
1.8GHz, 512MB RAM). After installing Win XP and copying my
website-in-progress to it, I started on it again in Notepad. Now, I
was used to BBEdit with its color coded tags, and intelligent handling
of double-click highliting of tags, and word wrap (its only features I
really used). Notepad has word wrap but not much else. So a few clicks
on Usenet I found some suggestions for HTML editors. Most I tried were
_too_ feature laden. Then I fount WebNotepad. It seemed to do what I
needed it to do but it lacked word wrap (very important) and to make
matters worse it choked on really long lines. This time I skip Usenet
and just do a Google search for windows html editors, or something
like that and I came to a website suggesting a number of them, same
thing they all were too feature laden. Than I tried Araneae. Its
PERFECT!!! Even better than BBEdit! It does word wrap, customizable
tag, regular text, and background colors. Also, single click browser
preview, line numbers, and keyboard shortcuts for commonly used tags,
including non-breaking-space, extremely useful for the tables I'm
creating. And, I customized the colors to I get a black background,
tags are bright colors, comments are bright white, and regular text is
light grey (like a text based DOS program). I find this combination,
with the Terminal - 9 font the most readable.

the readers digest version: Araneae is the BEST HTML editor ever!!! I
might even pay the voluntary donation!

--PART 2--
I havent tried it in Windows, but on the Mac, my website looked great
in IE, but awful in Netscape. the url is www.oskarbarnack.com. If
anyone wants to compare the two and let me know what I can do to make
it look the same in Netscape as in IE, I'd appreciate it. My website
is heavily dependent on tables, not just for layout, but actual
tables. Another issue: IE on the Mac would keep my table heights to a
minimum. I can't explain by typing, but I will draw a diagram: you can
see this on the Leica M3 / M2 / M4 / M5... page on
www.oskarbarnack.com

+--------------------+-----------------------------+
| |DATA |--\
| +-----------------------------+ >-+
| |MORE DATA |--/ |
| PHOTO +-----------------------------+ |
| |COMMENTS | |
| | | |
| | | |
+--------------------+-----------------------------+ |

IE Mac keeps these heights to a minimun, IE Windows and Netscape (I
think) tries to even out the heights, based on how much text is in the
COMMENTS field, resulting in somewhat unattractive appearance.

Is there a way to keep the single line table heights to a minimun? I'd
appreciate any information.

-gb

Mitja

Gerard Bagwin said:
[...]

do things.
Consider using divs instead of tables.

Nick Howes

Gerard Bagwin said:
IE Mac keeps these heights to a minimun, IE Windows and Netscape (I
think) tries to even out the heights, based on how much text is in the
COMMENTS field, resulting in somewhat unattractive appearance.

Is there a way to keep the single line table heights to a minimun? I'd
appreciate any information.

-gb

Did you try setting the height of the <td> holding the comments to 100%? I
haven't used tables in a long time so I can't remember if that'll make the
table really high, but if all goes well it might force the other rows to
minimal heights.

On a side note, that Araenae sounds interesting, might take a look at it.

Gerard Bagwin

Tried the height="1" on and data fields and the height="100%" on the
comments field when I first noticed the problem and just now again
with no result. Thanks anyway for the help.

-gb