HTML Textarea

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Mike Labman, Jan 10, 2004.

  1. Mike Labman

    Mike Labman Guest

    This is more of an HTML/CSS question, but I figure someone in here might
    know.

    I'm using in the stylesheet:
    BORDER-RIGHT: none;
    BORDER-TOP: none;
    BORDER-LEFT: none;
    BORDER-BOTTOM: none;
    OVERFLOW: hidden;

    to hide the borders and scrollbar, which works in windows browsers, but
    in MAC safari the borders and scrollbar still show up and in MAC
    explorer the scrollbar still shows up.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Mike Labman, Jan 10, 2004

  2. It might just be that safari doesn't support those CSS attributes, or at
    least not for certain elements like TEXTAREA. Have you tried also using
    scrollbars=0/none/no/auto, scrolling=0/none/no/auto in the TEXTAREA tag as
    opposed to relying solely on CSS?

    You might try a Mac / web newsgroup. ASP doesn't have any control over
    client-side style sheets.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Jan 10, 2004

  3. Mike Labman

    Roland Hall Guest

    Mike...

    "Mike Labman" wrote:
    : This is more of an HTML/CSS question, but I figure someone in here might
    : know.
    You're right, it is but more specifically which CSS attributes are supported
    by which browsers. Someone in here might know how to fix your car too but
    that doesn't make it the forum for auto mechanics. Jes' sayin'...

    : I'm using in the stylesheet:
    : BORDER-RIGHT: none;
    : BORDER-TOP: none;
    : BORDER-LEFT: none;
    : BORDER-BOTTOM: none;
    : OVERFLOW: hidden;

    This is not a style block. You're not telling us what you're assigning it
    to. BLOCKQUOTE, BODY, CENTER, DD, DIR, DIV, DL, DT, FIELDSET, FORM, H1, H2,
    H3, H4, H5, H6, HR, LI, LISTING, MARQUEE, MENU, OL, P, PLAINTEXT, PRE,
    TABLE, TD, TH, TR, UL, XMP, CAPTION, TEXTAREA, IFRAME, SPAN, IMG, EMBED,
    OBJECT, INPUT??? Also, you do not have to set all sides of a border to
    none. Borders are not set automatically. By default, they are not
    assigned. However, if you did have to over-ride another style, you would do
    it with scripting or inline, not as a style block which has the lowest
    priority.

    border: none would apply to border-style: none
    border: 0px would apply to border-width: 0px

    Either will work, depending on browser support.

    And, if you want to set one or more, you can still do it in for all sides
    but you need two statements:

    border-width: 1px 2px thin thick;
    border-style: solid inset dotted outset;

    You could also add color:

    border-color: red blue green black;

    With 1 it sets all 4 sides.
    With 2 it sets top/bottom, left-right.
    With 3 it sets top, right-left, bottom.

    However, with just border: you can only set all 4 sides the same.

    { border: border-width || border-style || border-color }

    : to hide the borders and scrollbar, which works in windows browsers, but
    : in MAC safari the borders and scrollbar still show up and in MAC
    : explorer the scrollbar still shows up.

    Which versions? All browsers are different even between versions. (he says
    loosely)

    Some areas of interest:
    http://www.quirksmode.org/css/contents.html
    http://arstechnica.com/reviews/003/software/mac/browser/mac-browsers-1.html