html to shtml

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Gary, Jan 9, 2007.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Hello,

    I recently added a small script anippet to my user form
    to include the user's IP address in the form return. It also displays
    the user's IP in a read-only text box.

    The snippet is this:

    <input type="text" name="ipaddr" value="<!--#echo var="REMOTE_ADDR"-->"
    readonly>

    The author of the script advised changing the web-page extention from
    "html" to "shtml" and making sure that SSI was enabled at a server
    level. My SSI was in fact, turned off at server level, but I did enable
    it as per instructions.

    Now, IE6 will easily display the "shtml" page as it should be displayed,
    with the read-only text box showing IP number as indicated.

    However, Opera and Firefox (most recent versions) display the source
    code of the SHTML page, instead of rendering the page properly.

    I am not familiar with the nuances of SHTML. Is there any special
    formatting needed for FF & Opera to render this properly?

    thanks for any assistance....

    Gary

    Gary, Jan 9, 2007

  2. Gary

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Gary wrote:

    > However, Opera and Firefox (most recent versions) display the source
    > code of the SHTML page, instead of rendering the page properly.

    Opera and Firefox *are* displaying the page properly. IE is displaying it
    incorrectly.

    Your server is misconfigured. It is returning a MIME type of "text/plain"
    instead of "text/html". Please consult your server's manual for details of
    how to remedy this.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 9, 2007

  3. Gary wrote:
    > Now, IE6 will easily display the "shtml" page as it should be displayed,
    > with the read-only text box showing IP number as indicated.
    >
    > However, Opera and Firefox (most recent versions) display the source
    > code of the SHTML page, instead of rendering the page properly.
    >
    > I am not familiar with the nuances of SHTML. Is there any special
    > formatting needed for FF & Opera to render this properly?

    It's not a client-side issue. Your server should be handling the SSI.
    Make sure that it's supported and enabled.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 9, 2007
  4. Scripsit Gary:

    > I recently added a small script anippet to my user form
    > to include the user's IP address in the form return.

    Just for the fun of it, I presume. There are very few useful things you
    could do that way, at least if illegal things aren't counted.

    > The author of the script advised changing the web-page extention from
    > "html" to "shtml" and making sure that SSI was enabled at a server
    > level.

    That's correct, though the extension thing is server-dependent.

    > However, Opera and Firefox (most recent versions) display the source
    > code of the SHTML page, instead of rendering the page properly.

    Try posting the URL. It's perhaps not sufficient, but it's a start in giving
    information about the specific problem.

    > I am not familiar with the nuances of SHTML. Is there any special
    > formatting needed for FF & Opera to render this properly?

    No. This sounds a bit mysterious, but if you have really tested it using
    exactly the same URL, then the problem is in the request headers that the
    browser sends. Or does you page try to do some browser-sniffing,
    intentionally sending different versions to different browsers?

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 9, 2007