html to shtml

Gary

Hello,

I recently added a small script anippet to my user form
to include the user's IP address in the form return. It also displays
the user's IP in a read-only text box.

The snippet is this:

<input type="text" name="ipaddr" value="<!--#echo var="REMOTE_ADDR"-->"
readonly>

The author of the script advised changing the web-page extention from
"html" to "shtml" and making sure that SSI was enabled at a server
level. My SSI was in fact, turned off at server level, but I did enable
it as per instructions.

Now, IE6 will easily display the "shtml" page as it should be displayed,
with the read-only text box showing IP number as indicated.

However, Opera and Firefox (most recent versions) display the source
code of the SHTML page, instead of rendering the page properly.

I am not familiar with the nuances of SHTML. Is there any special
formatting needed for FF & Opera to render this properly?

thanks for any assistance....

Gary

Toby Inkster

Gary said:
However, Opera and Firefox (most recent versions) display the source
code of the SHTML page, instead of rendering the page properly.

Opera and Firefox *are* displaying the page properly. IE is displaying it
incorrectly.

Your server is misconfigured. It is returning a MIME type of "text/plain"
instead of "text/html". Please consult your server's manual for details of
how to remedy this.

Leif K-Brooks

Gary said:
Now, IE6 will easily display the "shtml" page as it should be displayed,
with the read-only text box showing IP number as indicated.

However, Opera and Firefox (most recent versions) display the source
code of the SHTML page, instead of rendering the page properly.

I am not familiar with the nuances of SHTML. Is there any special
formatting needed for FF & Opera to render this properly?

It's not a client-side issue. Your server should be handling the SSI.
Make sure that it's supported and enabled.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Gary:
I recently added a small script anippet to my user form
to include the user's IP address in the form return.

Just for the fun of it, I presume. There are very few useful things you
could do that way, at least if illegal things aren't counted.
The author of the script advised changing the web-page extention from
"html" to "shtml" and making sure that SSI was enabled at a server
level.

That's correct, though the extension thing is server-dependent.
However, Opera and Firefox (most recent versions) display the source
code of the SHTML page, instead of rendering the page properly.

Try posting the URL. It's perhaps not sufficient, but it's a start in giving
information about the specific problem.
I am not familiar with the nuances of SHTML. Is there any special
formatting needed for FF & Opera to render this properly?

No. This sounds a bit mysterious, but if you have really tested it using
exactly the same URL, then the problem is in the request headers that the
browser sends. Or does you page try to do some browser-sniffing,
intentionally sending different versions to different browsers?