    cinnamngrl Guest

    There are a million online or on site computer training courses out
    there, but how do you separate the good and the bad?
    cinnamngrl, Sep 25, 2007

  2. cinnamngrl

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:35:15 GMT
    cinnamngrl scribed:

    > There are a million online or on site computer training courses out
    > there, but how do you separate the good and the bad?

    Ouija board? Odds-and-evens? Rock-paper-scissors?

    My guess would be by looking for recommendations from someone you trust or
    presume you could trust by reputation. -In addition, of course, to your
    own view of their promo spiel.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 26, 2007

  3. [OT] Re: html training course in boston

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 25 Sep 2007
    > 20:35:15 GMT cinnamngrl scribed:
    >
    >> There are a million online or on site computer training courses out
    >> there, but how do you separate the good and the bad?

    > Ouija board? Odds-and-evens? Rock-paper-scissors?

    Did you know that

    1. There's an international association for RPS?

    2. There is international competition, with world champions?

    3. The US has a pro RPS league?

    4. Its other name is

    http://www.worldrps.com/

    http://www.usarps.com/

    Special Can-You-Believe-This Blinky Trivia Panel:

    <q>

    In 2006, Federal Judge Gregory Presnell from the Middle District of
    Florida ordered opposing sides in a lengthy court case to settle a
    trivial (but lengthily debated) point over the appropriate place for a
    deposition using the game of rock-paper-scissors. The ruling in Avista
    Management v. Wausau Underwriters stated:

    Upon consideration of the Motion - the latest in a series of Gordian
    knots that the parties have been unable to untangle without enlisting
    the assistance of the federal courts - it is ORDERED that said Motion is
    DENIED. Instead, the Court will fashion a new form of alternative
    dispute resolution, to wit: at 4:00 P.M. on Friday, June 30, 2006,
    counsel shall convene at a neutral site agreeable to both parties. If
    counsel cannot agree on a neutral site, they shall meet on the front
    steps of the Sam M. Gibbons U.S. Courthouse, 801 North Florida Ave.,
    Tampa, Florida 33602. Each lawyer shall be entitled to be accompanied by
    one paralegal who shall act as an attendant and witness. At that time
    and location, counsel shall engage in one (1) game of "rock, paper,
    scissors." The winner of this engagement shall be entitled to select the
    location for the 30(b)(6) deposition to be held somewhere in
    Hillsborough County during the period July 11-12, 2006.

    </q>

    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock,_Paper,_Scissors

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 26, 2007
  4. Re: [OT] Re: html training course in boston

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 25 Sep 2007
    >> 20:35:15 GMT cinnamngrl scribed:
    >>
    >>> There are a million online or on site computer training courses out
    >>> there, but how do you separate the good and the bad?

    >> Ouija board? Odds-and-evens? Rock-paper-scissors?

    > Did you know that
    >
    > 1. There's an international association for RPS?
    >
    > 2. There is international competition, with world champions?
    >
    > 3. The US has a pro RPS league?
    >
    > 4. Its other name is

    roshambo.

    Sorry. I got distracted there. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 26, 2007
  5. Re: [OT] Re: html training course in boston

    On 2007-09-26, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 25 Sep 2007
    >> 20:35:15 GMT cinnamngrl scribed:
    >>
    >>> There are a million online or on site computer training courses out
    >>> there, but how do you separate the good and the bad?

    >> Ouija board? Odds-and-evens? Rock-paper-scissors?

    > Did you know that
    >
    > 1. There's an international association for RPS?
    >
    > 2. There is international competition, with world champions?

    The world championship is held here in Toronto. In a brewery, no
    less!

    (I recently gave a series of chess lessons to the wife of the
    managing director of the World Rock Paper Scissors Society.)

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 26, 2007
  6. Re: [OT] Re: html training course in boston

    Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    > On 2007-09-26, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 25 Sep 2007
    >>> 20:35:15 GMT cinnamngrl scribed:

    >>> Ouija board? Odds-and-evens? Rock-paper-scissors?

    >> Did you know that
    >>
    >> 1. There's an international association for RPS?
    >>
    >> 2. There is international competition, with world champions?

    > The world championship is held here in Toronto. In a brewery, no
    > less!

    And the USA Pro league I mentioned is sponsored by Budweiser. :)

    > (I recently gave a series of chess lessons to the wife of the
    > managing director of the World Rock Paper Scissors Society.)

    It's a small world.

    But, as the old tagline from 15 years used to say, "...but I wouldn't
    want to have to paint it."

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 26, 2007
  7. On Sep 25, 4:35 pm, cinnamngrl <> wrote:
    > There are a million online or on site computer training courses out
    > there, but how do you separate the good and the bad?

    Look at their web page. Does it meet the standards at which you want
    to be trained?

    Get references.
    Travis Newbury, Sep 26, 2007
  8. On Sep 26, 4:28 am, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > Sorry. I got distracted there. :)

    It was a worthy distraction...
    Travis Newbury, Sep 26, 2007
  9. cinnamngrl

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Andy Dingley, Sep 26, 2007
  10. cinnamngrl

    John Hosking Guest

    On 26 Sep 2007 08:28:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Did you know that
    >>
    >> 1. There's an international association for RPS?
    >>
    >> 2. There is international competition, with world champions?
    >>
    >> 3. The US has a pro RPS league?
    >>
    >> 4. Its other name is

    > roshambo.

    5. There is an expanded version of RPS with 25 different hand gestures?
    http://www.umop.com/rps25.htm

    --
    John
    John Hosking, Sep 27, 2007
  11. Re: [OT] Re: html training course in boston

    John Hosking wrote:
    > On 26 Sep 2007 08:28:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Did you know that
    >>>
    >>> 1. There's an international association for RPS?
    >>>
    >>> 2. There is international competition, with world champions?
    >>>
    >>> 3. The US has a pro RPS league?
    >>>
    >>> 4. Its other name is

    >> roshambo.

    > 5. There is an expanded version of RPS with 25 different hand gestures?
    > http://www.umop.com/rps25.htm

    Might as well just play chess.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 27, 2007
  12. cinnamngrl

    Neredbojias Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: html training course in boston

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:25:16
    GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

    >>> There are a million online or on site computer training courses out
    >>> there, but how do you separate the good and the bad?

    >> Ouija board? Odds-and-evens? Rock-paper-scissors?

    > Did you know that
    >
    > 1. There's an international association for RPS?
    >
    > 2. There is international competition, with world champions?
    >
    > 3. The US has a pro RPS league?
    >
    > 4. Its other name is
    >
    > http://www.worldrps.com/
    >
    > http://www.usarps.com/
    >
    > Special Can-You-Believe-This Blinky Trivia Panel:

    Wow, some people must be absolutely desperate for entertainment. This
    sounds more boring than tennis.

    > <q>
    >
    > In 2006, Federal Judge Gregory Presnell from the Middle District of
    > Florida ordered opposing sides in a lengthy court case to settle a
    > trivial (but lengthily debated) point over the appropriate place for a
    > deposition using the game of rock-paper-scissors. The ruling in Avista
    > Management v. Wausau Underwriters stated:
    >
    > Upon consideration of the Motion - the latest in a series of Gordian
    > knots that the parties have been unable to untangle without enlisting
    > the assistance of the federal courts - it is ORDERED that said Motion

    is
    > DENIED. Instead, the Court will fashion a new form of alternative
    > dispute resolution, to wit: at 4:00 P.M. on Friday, June 30, 2006,
    > counsel shall convene at a neutral site agreeable to both parties. If
    > counsel cannot agree on a neutral site, they shall meet on the front
    > steps of the Sam M. Gibbons U.S. Courthouse, 801 North Florida Ave.,
    > Tampa, Florida 33602. Each lawyer shall be entitled to be accompanied

    by
    > one paralegal who shall act as an attendant and witness. At that time
    > and location, counsel shall engage in one (1) game of "rock, paper,
    > scissors." The winner of this engagement shall be entitled to select

    the
    > location for the 30(b)(6) deposition to be held somewhere in
    > Hillsborough County during the period July 11-12, 2006.
    >
    > </q>
    >
    > - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock,_Paper,_Scissors

    Well, rps _is_ meant to settle things. And we all know that legal
    battles are often quite analogous to childish arguments. So...

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 27, 2007
  13. Re: [OT] Re: html training course in boston

    While the city slept, John Hosking () feverishly
    typed...

    [Rock / Paper / Scissors]

    > 5. There is an expanded version of RPS with 25 different hand
    > gestures? http://www.umop.com/rps25.htm

    And I raise you... http://www.umop.com/rps101.htm ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address will bounce. | Take the DOG. out!
    nice.guy.nige, Sep 28, 2007
  14. Travis Newbury, Sep 28, 2007