  1. doncloud

    doncloud Guest

    Does anyone have any sites for the simple-minded?
    doncloud, Mar 20, 2006

  2. doncloud

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, doncloud quothed:

    > Does anyone have any sites for the simple-minded?

    Just look for crap that moves or makes noise.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 20, 2006

  3. doncloud wrote:

    > Does anyone have any sites for the simple-minded?

    Absolute beginner level?

    Left column: http://www.w3schools.com/

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 21, 2006
  4. doncloud

    PH Guest

    PH, Mar 21, 2006
  5. doncloud

    Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus, Mar 21, 2006
  6. doncloud

    Spartanicus Guest

    "doncloud" <> wrote:

    >Does anyone have any sites for the simple-minded?

    http://www.htmldog.com/

    Avoid w3schools.com

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Mar 21, 2006
  7. doncloud

    trippy Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Spartanicus took the hamburger, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh
    wow"...

    > "doncloud" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone have any sites for the simple-minded?

    > http://www.htmldog.com/
    >
    > Avoid w3schools.com

    why?

    --
    trippy
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

    NP: "The Way It Is" -- Tesla

    "Now, technology's getting better all the time and that's fine,
    but most of the time all you need is a stick of gum, a pocketknife,
    and a smile."

    -- Robert Redford "Spy Game"
    trippy, Mar 21, 2006
  8. doncloud

    Spartanicus Guest

    trippy <> wrote:

    >> Avoid w3schools.com

    >why?

    Because it's didactically poor and littered with errors.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Mar 22, 2006
  9. doncloud

    trippy Guest

    In article <52512293lbncl0slvfpii62pcmn8as3k20
    @news.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie>, Spartanicus took the hamburger, threw
    it on the grill, and I said "Oh wow"...

    > trippy <> wrote:
    >
    > >> Avoid w3schools.com

    > >why?

    > Because it's didactically poor and littered with errors.

    How so?

    trippy, Mar 22, 2006
  10. On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, trippy wrote:

    > @news.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie>, Spartanicus took the hamburger, threw
    > it on the grill, and I said "Oh wow"...

    > > >why?

    > > Because it's didactically poor and littered with errors.

    > How so?

    If you understood the web, you'd know. If you don't, then maybe you'd
    be advised to heed the advice of Spartanicus until you do.

    "littered with errors" isn't something that you can reasonably expect
    to be corrected by an occasional usenet posting. Get real.
    Alan J. Flavell, Mar 22, 2006
  11. doncloud

    trippy Guest

    In article <Pine.WNT.4.64.0603220138220.1712@ZORIN>, Alan J. Flavell
    took the hamburger, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh wow"...

    > On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, trippy wrote:
    >
    > > @news.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie>, Spartanicus took the hamburger, threw
    > > it on the grill, and I said "Oh wow"...

    > > > Because it's didactically poor and littered with errors.

    > > How so?

    > If you understood the web, you'd know. If you don't, then maybe you'd
    > be advised to heed the advice of Spartanicus until you do.
    >
    > "littered with errors" isn't something that you can reasonably expect
    > to be corrected by an occasional usenet posting. Get real.

    I'll thank you kindly to leave your condescension at the door.

    I asked because I actually have used the site to learn some things about
    javascript so I was wondering maybe if there were a couple of the things
    that were glaringly inaccurate. I wasn't asking for a book about it.

    trippy, Mar 22, 2006
  12. doncloud

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, trippy quothed:

    > In article <Pine.WNT.4.64.0603220138220.1712@ZORIN>, Alan J. Flavell
    > took the hamburger, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh wow"...
    >
    > > On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, trippy wrote:
    > >
    > > > @news.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie>, Spartanicus took the hamburger, threw
    > > > it on the grill, and I said "Oh wow"...

    > > > How so?

    > > If you understood the web, you'd know. If you don't, then maybe you'd
    > > be advised to heed the advice of Spartanicus until you do.
    > >
    > > "littered with errors" isn't something that you can reasonably expect
    > > to be corrected by an occasional usenet posting. Get real.
    > >

    > I'll thank you kindly to leave your condescension at the door.

    I see no condescension. When you replied to "littered with errors" with
    "How so?", what did you expect, an annotated explanation? The thing is
    buggy, okay, at least in Sparty's opinion (as well as others, including
    mine) and if you have doubts, try it yourself.

    > I asked because I actually have used the site to learn some things about
    > javascript so I was wondering maybe if there were a couple of the things
    > that were glaringly inaccurate. I wasn't asking for a book about it.

    This is good, but offered in hindsight. For my own offering, I see so
    many people ask questions here about things I researched and figured out
    myself, -properly so. This isn't Sadie Mae's html and css help dept.
    If you have a _real_ problem, okay, most would be glad to help (if they
    can), but there have been so many absolutely stupid pleas for simplistic
    assistance lately it's just plain exasperating. Some guy up there can't
    figure out how to do a javascript random-quote thing. Well I did that
    years ago and in more than one flavor but it's time-consuming so I'm not
    going to "take him by the hand" through all the script necessary to make
    it right. Either he knows j/s or he doesn't. If he doesn't, learn it!
    Just think, whatever you do learn, you can use anytime you want!

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 22, 2006
  13. doncloud

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > > I'll thank you kindly to leave your condescension at the door.

    > I see no condescension.

    No, well, you wouldn't would you? But you will become a more
    sensitive person after a little meet with Gladiator.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 22, 2006
  14. doncloud

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > > > "littered with errors" isn't something that you can reasonably expect
    > > > to be corrected by an occasional usenet posting. Get real.
    > > >

    > > I'll thank you kindly to leave your condescension at the door.

    > ... When you replied to "littered with errors" with
    > "How so?", what did you expect, an annotated explanation?

    You miss that the poor op was not asking for chapter and verse -
    a couple of glaring examples would probably have done the trick.
    How the hell is the op supposed to know that Spartanicus is God
    himself? Another thing you missed (your later James Cagney type
    of speech about the absurdity of holding people's hands making it
    almost certainly hopeless telling you this) is that it was wide
    open for Flavell to leave out the less than diplomatic "Get real"
    (he too missing the point about the possibility of a couple of
    convincing examples for a newbie).

    Anyway, no one is perfect. You will be closer to perfection by a
    smidgeon after your encounter with Office Bud White. You will be
    piping a different tune then. Trust me Boji, you are a poor
    schmuck, and I have special instructions from my minders to keep
    an eye out for you.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 22, 2006
  15. doncloud

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

    > > > I'll thank you kindly to leave your condescension at the door.

    > > ... When you replied to "littered with errors" with
    > > "How so?", what did you expect, an annotated explanation?

    > You miss that the poor op was not asking for chapter and verse -
    > a couple of glaring examples would probably have done the trick.
    > How the hell is the op supposed to know that Spartanicus is God
    > himself? Another thing you missed (your later James Cagney type
    > of speech about the absurdity of holding people's hands making it
    > almost certainly hopeless telling you this) is that it was wide
    > open for Flavell to leave out the less than diplomatic "Get real"
    > (he too missing the point about the possibility of a couple of
    > convincing examples for a newbie).

    Well, perhaps I was a little over-harsh but it still seems to me that
    some of these beseechers don't do shit for themselves and want hand-
    crafted, ready-to-run markup handed to them gratis, thank you very much.
    It's even easier than copy-and-pasting example markup/code which, of
    course, shouldn't be done, either, if you don't know how it works (-and
    then you probably wouldn't need it, anyway.)

    On the other hand, there are times when anyone can get stuck, even on
    the simplest of things, and may need a boost (or boot) to get going
    again. The only way to judge is by the contents of the post and
    whatever it might link to.

    > Anyway, no one is perfect. You will be closer to perfection by a
    > smidgeon after your encounter with Office Bud White. You will be
    > piping a different tune then. Trust me Boji, you are a poor
    > schmuck, and I have special instructions from my minders to keep
    > an eye out for you.

    Do you know what "schmuck" really means?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 23, 2006
  16. doncloud

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Neredbojias
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Do you know what "schmuck" really means?

    In German it means jewel (or jewelry); in Yiddish it means a jerk. I'm
    guessing dorayme meant the latter, but we'll see. :)

    --
    Mark Parnell

    Now implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Mark Parnell, Mar 23, 2006
  17. doncloud

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > > Anyway, no one is perfect. You will be closer to perfection by a
    > > smidgeon after your encounter with Office Bud White. You will be
    > > piping a different tune then. Trust me Boji, you are a poor
    > > schmuck, and I have special instructions from my minders to keep
    > > an eye out for you.

    > Do you know what "schmuck" really means?

    No, I have no idea? Do you know what it means to say to someone
    in a semi-friendly (Australian sort of) way that they are a poor
    schmuck?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 23, 2006
  18. doncloud

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Do you know what it means to say to someone
    > in a semi-friendly (Australian sort of) way that they are a poor
    > schmuck?

    Much the same as calling them a bastard. :)

    Mark Parnell, Mar 23, 2006
  19. Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    >> Do you know what it means to say to someone in a semi-friendly
    >> (Australian sort of) way that they are a poor schmuck?

    > Much the same as calling them a bastard. :)

    ...or rather a 'dick'. My dad's Jewish boss told me years ago schmuck
    meant 'penis' or in slang, a 'dick'.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=schmuck&db=*

    Are we OT enough now? ;-)

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 23, 2006
  20. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Neredbojias enquired:

    > Do you know what "schmuck" really means?

    In Yiddish? As a matter of fact, yes, I do; but if I didn't,
    a few moments with a search engine would suffice to remedy that.
    Alan J. Flavell, Mar 23, 2006