    though given that he's technically minded I think it might be a bit TOO
    low level.

    +mrcakey
    +mrcakey, Nov 19, 2007

  2. +mrcakey wrote:
    > My friend is wanting to get into HTML, so I bought him a domain/hosting
    > package for his birthday. I'd like to recommend a good place for him to
    > start.
    >
    > Is there anyone here who's "started from scratch" recently and if so,
    > are there any sites you'd recommend?
    >
    > Of those I Googled, this one
    > http://www.pagetutor.com/html_tutor/index.html looked the most promising
    > though given that he's technically minded I think it might be a bit TOO
    > low level.

    Unfortunately, many are very flawed with outdated or just plain
    incorrect information.

    Best found so far are at www.htmldog.com

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 19, 2007

  3. Toby A Inkster, Nov 19, 2007
  4. +mrcakey

    BobaBird Guest

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:49:36 +0000, +mrcakey wrote:

    >My friend is wanting to get into HTML, ...
    >
    >Is there anyone here who's "started from scratch" recently and if so,
    >are there any sites you'd recommend?

    When I started learning, my focus was on trying to unravel the mystery
    of all those tags, and how to use them.

    Learn good practices such as using tags that represent the structure
    of the content. Examples:
    <h1>Page Title</h1>

    More at http://fadtastic.net/2006/10/19/the-semantic-code/

    Once he's written some code, validate it at http://validator.w3.org/ .

    I first heard, or maybe I should say stopped ignoring mention, of
    Cascading Style Sheets about 2 years ago and was surprised to learn
    CSS has been the standard for the last 10 years. I would encourage
    learning HTML alongside CSS to save from having to unlearn some of the
    old methods.

    See http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?CSS_FAQs
    --

    Charles