HTML Tutorial for complete newbie recommendation

+mrcakey

My friend is wanting to get into HTML, so I bought him a domain/hosting
package for his birthday. I'd like to recommend a good place for him to
start.

Is there anyone here who's "started from scratch" recently and if so,
are there any sites you'd recommend?

Of those I Googled, this one
http://www.pagetutor.com/html_tutor/index.html looked the most promising
though given that he's technically minded I think it might be a bit TOO
low level.

+mrcakey

Jonathan N. Little

+mrcakey said:
My friend is wanting to get into HTML, so I bought him a domain/hosting
package for his birthday. I'd like to recommend a good place for him to
start.

Is there anyone here who's "started from scratch" recently and if so,
are there any sites you'd recommend?

Of those I Googled, this one
http://www.pagetutor.com/html_tutor/index.html looked the most promising
though given that he's technically minded I think it might be a bit TOO
low level.

Unfortunately, many are very flawed with outdated or just plain
incorrect information.

Best found so far are at www.htmldog.com

BobaBird

My friend is wanting to get into HTML, ...

Is there anyone here who's "started from scratch" recently and if so,
are there any sites you'd recommend?

When I started learning, my focus was on trying to unravel the mystery
of all those tags, and how to use them.

Learn good practices such as using tags that represent the structure
of the content. Examples:
<h1>Page Title</h1>

More at http://fadtastic.net/2006/10/19/the-semantic-code/

Once he's written some code, validate it at http://validator.w3.org/ .

I first heard, or maybe I should say stopped ignoring mention, of
Cascading Style Sheets about 2 years ago and was surprised to learn
CSS has been the standard for the last 10 years. I would encourage
learning HTML alongside CSS to save from having to unlearn some of the
old methods.

See http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?CSS_FAQs