html validation

Discussion in 'HTML' started by terry, Mar 8, 2006.

  1. terry

    terry Guest

    Hello. I need just a little more help ... please. At www.w3.org I have
    my page errors down from over 200 a week ago to 18 today. There are a
    few I cannot figure out (I'm still learning this stuff). 11 of the 18
    have to do with a variable in links to products. I'm not so worried
    about these because there's probably nothing I can do about it.

    The 2 errors I really need help with are ...
    1. Error 3, Line 30 says there's no attribute "Background". I don't
    know how else to get the background image into the cell.
    2. Errors 27 & 28 both refer to line 323 but I don't understand the problem.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Disclaimer:
    I think we have a classy site but since we sell lingerie and other
    romantic gifts, some people "might" find images of women in lingerie
    offensive. http://www.4everhers.com

    BTW. For those who made the suggestion, I have replaced all of the font
    tags with CSS. Was up til after 1:00 am this morning learning how. It
    was worth it!

    Thanks,
    Terry

    terry, Mar 8, 2006

  2. terry

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, terry
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > 11 of the 18
    > have to do with a variable in links to products.

    Replace & with &amp; in the links.

    > The 2 errors I really need help with are ...
    > 1. Error 3, Line 30 says there's no attribute "Background". I don't
    > know how else to get the background image into the cell.

    CSS, of course. :)

    background-image: url(image.png);

    > 2. Errors 27 & 28 both refer to line 323 but I don't understand the problem.

    You missed the closing quote on the td width. <td width="9%>

    --
    Mark Parnell

    Now implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Mark Parnell, Mar 8, 2006

  3. terry

    terry Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, terry
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    >> 11 of the 18
    >> have to do with a variable in links to products.

    > Replace & with &amp; in the links.
    >
    >> The 2 errors I really need help with are ...
    >> 1. Error 3, Line 30 says there's no attribute "Background". I don't
    >> know how else to get the background image into the cell.

    > CSS, of course. :)
    >
    > background-image: url(image.png);
    >
    >> 2. Errors 27 & 28 both refer to line 323 but I don't understand the problem.

    > You missed the closing quote on the td width. <td width="9%>

    Hmmm. I had no idea you could replace & with &amp; in a URL. Sure helps
    when you know what you're doing. Those are all fixed.

    Yep, I missed the closing quote. I can't tell you how many times I
    looked and never noticed. Guess I should actually wear my glasses.

    I'll add the background image to CSS tomorrow.

    Thanks for your help Mark!!

    terry, Mar 8, 2006
  4. terry wrote:

    > Yep, I missed the closing quote. I can't tell you how many times I looked
    > and never noticed. Guess I should actually wear my glasses.

    What are you editing with? A good editor with syntax highlighting would
    have shown you that error because (in my experience) colorization of your
    source would've been wrong after the missing closing quotation mark (since
    the quote was still open, subsequent markup would've been considered
    within it).

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 8, 2006
  5. terry

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, terry
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Hmmm. I had no idea you could replace & with &amp; in a URL.

    You not only can, but you must - hence the validation errors.

    > Yep, I missed the closing quote. I can't tell you how many times I
    > looked and never noticed. Guess I should actually wear my glasses.

    As Blinky said, if your editor has syntax highlighting it should have
    been obvious.

    > Thanks for your help Mark!!

    No problem. Any more questions, feel free to ask.

    Mark Parnell, Mar 8, 2006
  6. On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, terry
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > Hmmm. I had no idea you could replace & with &amp; in a URL.

    > You not only can, but you must - hence the validation errors.

    Not "in a URL", but "when representing such a URL in HTML". Or
    anything else which happens to contain an & character, for that
    matter. URLs are in no way special in this regard!

    Alan J. Flavell, Mar 8, 2006
  7. terry

    Big Bill Guest

    On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:13:23 -0500, terry
    <> wrote:

    >Hello. I need just a little more help ... please. At www.w3.org I have
    >my page errors down from over 200 a week ago to 18 today. There are a
    >few I cannot figure out (I'm still learning this stuff). 11 of the 18
    >have to do with a variable in links to products. I'm not so worried
    >about these because there's probably nothing I can do about it.
    >
    >The 2 errors I really need help with are ...
    >1. Error 3, Line 30 says there's no attribute "Background". I don't
    >know how else to get the background image into the cell.

    Use css.

    >2. Errors 27 & 28 both refer to line 323 but I don't understand the problem.
    >
    >Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Disclaimer:
    >I think we have a classy site but since we sell lingerie and other
    >romantic gifts, some people "might" find images of women in lingerie
    >offensive. http://www.4everhers.com
    >
    >BTW. For those who made the suggestion, I have replaced all of the font
    >tags with CSS. Was up til after 1:00 am this morning learning how. It
    >was worth it!

    Learn some more! You're getting there so keep at it.

    BB

    --

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bill.kruse/john-james-audubon-bird-prints.htm
    http://www.crystal-liaison.com/harmony-kingdom/index.html

    Big Bill, Mar 9, 2006
  8. terry

    terry Guest

    Big Bill wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:13:23 -0500, terry
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Hello. I need just a little more help ... please. At www.w3.org I have
    >> my page errors down from over 200 a week ago to 18 today. There are a
    >> few I cannot figure out (I'm still learning this stuff). 11 of the 18
    >> have to do with a variable in links to products. I'm not so worried
    >> about these because there's probably nothing I can do about it.
    >>
    >> The 2 errors I really need help with are ...
    >> 1. Error 3, Line 30 says there's no attribute "Background". I don't
    >> know how else to get the background image into the cell.
    >>

    > Use css.
    >

    >> 2. Errors 27 & 28 both refer to line 323 but I don't understand the problem.
    >>
    >> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Disclaimer:
    >> I think we have a classy site but since we sell lingerie and other
    >> romantic gifts, some people "might" find images of women in lingerie
    >> offensive. http://www.4everhers.com
    >>
    >> BTW. For those who made the suggestion, I have replaced all of the font
    >> tags with CSS. Was up til after 1:00 am this morning learning how. It
    >> was worth it!
    >>

    > Learn some more! You're getting there so keep at it.
    >
    > BB

    It's been fixed with CSS. Thanks again to all who helped!

    Terry

    terry, Mar 9, 2006
  9. Richard Sexton, Mar 9, 2006