html validator - enity

Merlin

HI there,

I just validated my site with w3.org html validator.

it tells me following:

Line 55, column 649: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "url"

..."/mail/index.php?fuseaction=send_url&url=%2F" class="community_button">Einem

So somehow it has problems with the & inside the url. But this seems to me to be valid.

Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Merlin

Mark Parnell

So somehow it has problems with the & inside the url.
Yes.

But this seems to me to be valid.

But then you're not a validator, are you? ;-)

The & needs to be escaped - replace each & with &

brucie

in post: <
Merlin said:
I just validated my site with w3.org html validator.
it tells me following:

<quote>
When asking question about errors reported by a validator also supply a
link to the document you're trying to validate. It is often not possible
to determine the fix for an error without it.
Line 55, column 649: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "url"
..."/mail/index.php?fuseaction=send_url&url=%2F" class="community_button">Einem
So somehow it has problems with the & inside the url.

5.3.2 Character entity references
Authors should use "&amp;" (ASCII decimal 38) instead of "&" to avoid
confusion with the beginning of a character reference (entity reference
open delimiter). Authors should also use "&amp;" in attribute values
since character references are allowed within CDATA attribute values.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/charset.html#h-5.3.2