HTML Versions

Kenneth Keeley

Hi,
I have created a web site that works well on the computers I have control
over (all using IE5.0 or above). I have now set about rewritting the pages
to be more browser compatible, but firstly I would like to know what
versions of the most common browser support which levels of HTML. Ideally I
would like to use HTML version 4 and then place a warning on my home page
stating what version of browser software is required.

Can somebody help.

Curt_C [MVP]

Wrong place to ask really....
the HTML compatability is a property of the browser, not the server.
I'd hit up a clientside group on this one.

Adrienne

Wrong place to ask really....
the HTML compatability is a property of the browser, not the server.
I'd hit up a clientside group on this one.

Additionally, if you use HTML Strict markup, and you validate it, you
should be okay for ANY browser. CSS is another story, again OT.

Jeff Cochran

I have created a web site that works well on the computers I have control
over (all using IE5.0 or above). I have now set about rewritting the pages
to be more browser compatible, but firstly I would like to know what
versions of the most common browser support which levels of HTML. Ideally I
would like to use HTML version 4 and then place a warning on my home page
stating what version of browser software is required.

Ask in the HTML groups, this gets bandied about daily.

Jeff