HTML Window Focus alert

Paresh Shah

Hi All,

I have a specific requirement, please help me out.
I have a web site where multiple html pages are opened at a time &
messages are received or those pages are refreshed automatically using
meta-tag.

what I want is whenever that page is refreshed, the particular html
window should notify user (as user may have opened other html window),
now notification could be by setting focus to that html window which
is refreshed, but then this will distract & frustate the user as he
was referring other html window. What I would like to do is make that
window blink or some notification like yahoo or msn mail received. But
I want this kind of feature in HTML/Javascript.

I m sure somebody would have definately tried this out & succeeded....

Please reply me.....

Regards
Paresh Shah

McKirahan

Paresh Shah said:
[...]

Perhaps you could adapt the following.

The title to "blink" (sort of) even in the Task Bar.

Test as-is; watch for word-wrap.

<head>
<title>Hello World</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
var step = 0;
var pref = new Array("--- ",">> ");
var titl = document.title;
function titles() {
document.title = pref[step++ % 2] + titl;
setTimeout("titles()",400);
}
</script>
</head>

Paresh Shah

Thanks friend....
but this doesn't attrack the user who is currently in different
page.....whereas real blinking would be a better option...

has anyone done such kind of work....i believe many of you would have
done. Please let me also know how????

Paresh

McKirahan

Paresh Shah said:
Thanks friend....
but this doesn't attrack the user who is currently in different
page.....whereas real blinking would be a better option...

has anyone done such kind of work....i believe many of you would have
done. Please let me also know how????

Paresh

[snip]

You originally asked "What I would like to do is make that window blink
....".

A user could resize/maximize a window thus hiding all other windows that you
would have blink.

The (sort of) blinking task bar gets around this and is less intrusive.

Perhaps someone else will post a solution of what you say you want.