HTML5 Audio - How To Play Shoutcast streams

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by lukas, Mar 2, 2010.

  1. lukas

    lukas Guest

    Hello,

    I have a problem with the HTML5-Audio-Tag.
    While it plays mp3 files without a problem, I cannot get it to play
    shoutcast streams.

    Consider this URL: http://89.149.227.111:8050

    For my VLC-Player this is a music stream. However, for the browser its
    a HTML-Page showing some info about the stream.

    Does anyone have an idea how to get the audio into the browser?
    Perhaps by opening some sort of JavaScript-Stream object?

    My aim is to build a streaming html5 audio player without using Flash.

    Regards
    Lukas.

    lukas, Mar 2, 2010

  2. lukas wrote:

    > I have a problem with the HTML5-Audio-Tag.

    Probably you mean the `audio' element specified in the current HTML 5
    _Working Draft_.

    > While it plays mp3 files without a problem, I cannot get it to play
    > shoutcast streams.
    >
    > Consider this URL: http://89.149.227.111:8050

    $ telnet 89.149.227.111 8050
    Trying 89.149.227.111...
    Connected to 89.149.227.111.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    HEAD / HTTP/1.0
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    $ telnet 89.149.227.111 8050
    Trying 89.149.227.111...
    Connected to 89.149.227.111.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    HEAD / HTTP/1.1
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    > For my VLC-Player this is a music stream. However, for the browser its
    > a HTML-Page showing some info about the stream.

    Really?

    > Does anyone have an idea how to get the audio into the browser?

    Probably. But this is off-topic here.

    > Perhaps by opening some sort of JavaScript-Stream object?

    Perhaps not.

    > My aim is to build a streaming html5 audio player without using Flash.

    RTFM, STFW.

    PointedEars
    will want to steal it.)

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Mar 2, 2010