    Does it look like 5 will be a winner?

    --
    JohnW-Mpls

    JohnW-Mpls, May 16, 2011

  2. 16.5.2011 23:16, JohnW-Mpls wrote:

    > I've not been following this. Is HTML5 popular?

    Yes, everybody and his brother talks about it. (I just finished writing
    a book on it. Sorry, it will be in Finnish, but it's an easy language.)

    Some people even _use_ some HTML5 constructs. Some of them are "safe" to
    use already, some of them can be used with precautions that handle
    non-supporting browsers, and some of them can be used with caution
    (e.g., in intranets where you can expect everyone to use the newest
    Firefox or the newest Chrome).

    > I remember that XHTML was going to take over from HTML4

    Yes, there was a lot of talk about it. XHTML didn't really die, it just
    became relatively uninteresting. HTML5 is really about HTML at the
    document tree level, and the tree can be linearized as good old HTML or
    as XHTML, as you like (and sometimes you can like XHTML, because your
    HTML5 document is to be sent to some XML-aware, maybe XML-only software).

    > but other than
    > introducing the XML terminology, old HTML 4 is still chugging along.

    It's just being transmogrified to HTML5.

    > Does it look like 5 will be a winner?

    It seems that we don't really know what the future HTML will be, except
    that it will be called HTML5. :)

    Seriously, though I keep emphasizing that HTML5 is just a draft, or
    drafts (WHATWG HTML5 and W3C HTML5, which are developed together but not
    identical), it seems to be converging and getting implemented. But parts
    thereof are still at stake

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, May 17, 2011

  3. JohnW-Mpls

    JohnW-Mpls Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2011 06:13:07 +0300, "Jukka K. Korpela" <>
    wrote:

    >16.5.2011 23:16, JohnW-Mpls wrote:
    >
    >> I've not been following this. Is HTML5 popular?

    >Yes, everybody and his brother talks about it. (I just finished writing
    >a book on it. Sorry, it will be in Finnish, but it's an easy language.)
    >
    >Some people even _use_ some HTML5 constructs. Some of them are "safe" to
    >use already, some of them can be used with precautions that handle
    >non-supporting browsers, and some of them can be used with caution
    >(e.g., in intranets where you can expect everyone to use the newest
    >Firefox or the newest Chrome).
    >
    >> I remember that XHTML was going to take over from HTML4

    >Yes, there was a lot of talk about it. XHTML didn't really die, it just
    >became relatively uninteresting. HTML5 is really about HTML at the
    >document tree level, and the tree can be linearized as good old HTML or
    >as XHTML, as you like (and sometimes you can like XHTML, because your
    >HTML5 document is to be sent to some XML-aware, maybe XML-only software).
    >
    > > but other than
    >> introducing the XML terminology, old HTML 4 is still chugging along.

    >It's just being transmogrified to HTML5.
    >
    >> Does it look like 5 will be a winner?

    Thank you very much - just the information, with opinion, that I was hoping
    to receive.

    Good luck with sales of your book. Trying to find something in an O'Reilly
    book today, I realized that for me, the index is the most used part of
    technical manuals.

    --
    JohnW-Mpls

    JohnW-Mpls, May 18, 2011
  4. JohnW-Mpls

    jeff Guest

    On 5/16/2011 4:16 PM, JohnW-Mpls wrote:
    > I've not been following this. Is HTML5 popular?

    http://www.deepbluesky.com/blog/-/browser-support-for-css3-and-html5_72/

    Note the widespread lack of support by IE versions less than 9.

    The playing field most of us want is being able to write cross browser,
    and that has largely been done by either waiting for older browsers to
    die or not caring about them. Caring about IE support, does not mean
    liking IE.

    I've never had any love for Flash, neither does Apple. It appears to me
    that HTML 5 is essential for iPhone/iPad multimedia as they do not
    support Flash. So, once again it is having to write differently to cover
    all browsers, in this case one for IE and one way for Apple.

    If you are not considering multimedia, there are few worries. But this
    is increasingly a video web. So, it's another mess, for probably another
    4 or 5 years. I'm thrilled.

    YouTube:

    http://apiblog.youtube.com/2010/07/new-way-to-embed-youtube-videos.html

    jeff, May 18, 2011