    Manousos, Athen
    -
    manios7
    manios76, Jun 29, 2004

  2. manios76

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    manios76 <4designers.com> wrote:

    > I have an html table which contains nested tables in its cells.
    > My problem is that the height of each row of the outer table is
    > determined by the height of the cell that contains the biggest nested
    > table.As a result some cells of this row contain nested tables whose
    > size is smaller than the cell they are contained in. Is there a way to
    > make all nested tables fit exactly the space available in the cell they
    > are contained?

    Liberate yourself from hacks and cludges like tables for layout. There
    is a way it is supposed to be done, it is called Cascading Style Sheets,
    CSS. It is here to stay, it is not complicated at all and the time is
    right to use it.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Jun 29, 2004

  3. manios76

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Kris" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > manios76 <4designers.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I have an html table which contains nested tables in its cells.
    > > My problem is that the height of each row of the outer table is
    > > determined by the height of the cell that contains the biggest nested
    > > table.As a result some cells of this row contain nested tables whose
    > > size is smaller than the cell they are contained in. Is there a way to
    > > make all nested tables fit exactly the space available in the cell they
    > > are contained?

    Not really
    http://www.karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=21

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Jun 29, 2004
  4. manios76

    Amos E Wolfe Guest

    "manios76" <4designers.com> wrote in message
    > Hallo,
    >
    > I have an html table which contains nested tables in its cells.
    > My problem is that the height of each row of the outer table is
    > determined by the height of the cell that contains the biggest nested
    > table.As a result some cells of this row contain nested tables whose
    > size is smaller than the cell they are contained in. Is there a way to
    > make all nested tables fit exactly the space available in the cell they
    > are contained?
    >
    > Regards
    > Manousos, Athens
    > --
    > manios76

    Style Sheets (CSS0 is the way forward, but if you haven't the time to learn
    simply create a 1x1 transparent .gif and include it in one cell per row,
    specifying the height in the img tag. It's quick and dirty but it works.
    Even the so-called "professional" sites use this method - I didn't invent
    it, nor did Microsoft, Ask Jeeves or the BBC, i suspect.

    -=# Amos E Wolfe #=-
    Amos E Wolfe, Jun 29, 2004
  5. "Karl Groves" <> writes:

    > "Kris" <> wrote...

    > Not really
    > http://www.karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=21

    For normal tag salad it works consistent enough.

    Some notes:

    * DTD is the initialism for (document type) *definition*--in the formal
    syntactical sense the *sum* of external and internal subsets in the $1
    declaration that governs the upcoming instance set, not some magic
    prefixed keyword (and|or) string
    * docHype bitching has nothing to do with doctype declarations either;
    the software concept of breaking a real standard to invoke so-called
    standards compliance with one or the other W3C spec of the week has
    the overall credibility of a politician who publically asks for a
    bribe for the purpose of ensuring his integrity

    Quirks mode is A Good Thing

    --
    <!DOCTYPESNIFFING> heuristics can be surprising but fun
    Eric B. Bednarz, Jun 29, 2004
  6. manios76

    Kris Guest

    In article <cbsoe0$g2h$>,
    "Karl Groves" <> wrote:

    > Not really
    > http://www.karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=21

    ==
    Here we see a 100% (height and width) table -
    100% table with no DTD

    Notice that this "works". Unfortunately, it only works because there is
    no DTD. As such, it throws the browser into "Quirks mode" - basically
    revving up the browser's compensatory features so that a broken website
    will still display rather than break*. Last I checked, it worked in all
    browsers.
    ==

    So it does work. Don't try to convince me of doing things the right way,
    try the OP instead. I assumed someone who thinks nesting tables for
    layout is the best thing to do does not care a single bit for code
    quality at all, leave alone valid methods.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Jun 29, 2004
  7. manios76

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Kris" <> wrote in message
    > In article <cbsoe0$g2h$>,
    > "Karl Groves" <> wrote:
    >

    > So it does work. Don't try to convince me of doing things the right way,
    > try the OP instead. I assumed someone who thinks nesting tables for
    > layout is the best thing to do does not care a single bit for code
    > quality at all, leave alone valid methods.

    hahaha good point

    -karl
    Karl Groves, Jun 30, 2004