htmldoc...funny characters not going away

hotkitty

Hi,

Am using htmldoc to turn webpages into pdf files. When using the gui
application the pdf file turns out great. However, when using perl to
call the program the pdf apostraphes, quotations get turned into
symbols (apostraphes get turned into a-hat). Obviously its an encoding
issue but I've used various methods like setting the character set
like cpan says, uri::escape and even tried substituting the character
for the symbol (=~ s/a-hat/'/g) to no avail. Any suggestions?