HTMLInputFile control and validation.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Al Smith, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    Newbee to aspx needs direction.

    We are using an <INPUT type="file" tag to upload a file. We also have a
    text field for the user to enter a description for the file which the user
    must enter. Server side validation was being done for the description field
    having length and if not an appropriate message was written back to the
    client. However, in the process, the filename the user enters is not
    persisted between server calls (HTMLInputFile control). Also after some
    research I found where the "value" property for the <INPUT type="file" tag
    is read only for security purposes. Soo, I thought I would just do client
    side validation to make sure the description field was filled in. Now my
    problem is how to raise the appropriate event back on the server. The code
    below shows my issue.

    The original code. When clicked, the btnUpload_Click event on the server is
    raised and the description field being filled in was validated. If not
    filled in, the user supplied value of the <INPUT type="file" is lost back on
    the client.

    <INPUT type="file" id="File1" NAME="File1" size="35" class="txt"
    runat="server">
    <INPUT class="txt" type="text" size="35" id="DocName" name="DocName"
    maxlength="50" runat="server">
    <input type="button" id="btnUpload" class="btn" value="Upload"
    OnServerClick="btnUpload_Click" NAME="btnUpload" runat="server">

    Soo, I changed the btnUpload to call JS on the client as shown next.

    <INPUT type="file" id="File1" NAME="File1" size="35" class="txt"
    runat="server">
    <INPUT class="txt" type="text" size="35" id="DocName" name="DocName"
    maxlength="50" runat="server">
    <input type="button" id="btnUpload" class="btn" value="Upload"
    OnClick="btnUpload_Click()" NAME="btnUpload">

    and added the JS:
    <script LANGUAGE="javascript" >
    <!--
    function btnUpload_Click(){
    if ( Form1.DocName.value.length == 0 ){
    alert("Fill in a description.");
    }
    else{
    Form1.submit();
    //
    -->
    </script>

    What I do not know how to do is in the else. I don't want to just do a
    "Form1.submit()", I would like to simulate the aspx way and effectively
    raise the btnUpload_Click event on the server or some other server sub.

    Al Smith, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Form1.Submit() will work fine.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 20, 2004

  3. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    Hi Kevin,

    Although Form1.Submit() works, can I call a specific routine on the server?

    Thanks

    Al

    Al Smith, Jan 20, 2004
  4. > Although Form1.Submit() works, can I call a specific routine on the
    server?

    Sure, in the Page_Load Sub. Just check to see whether a file was uploaded.

    I think it's great that you want to do this "the aspx way" (as you put it).
    However, in this case, you're not violating any Best Practices. Event
    Handlers are good for handling events, and you could programmatically click
    a button to invoke a server-side event handler, but in this case, it would
    add unnecessary processing to do so.

    :)

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 20, 2004
  5. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    Thanks Kevin!

    Al Smith, Jan 20, 2004
  6. Hi Al,

    Thank you for using MSDN Newsgroup! My name is Steven, and I'll be
    assisting you on this issue.
    From your description, you're looking for some information on how to post
    back a page via client script(such as javasciprt) and also use some other
    ways besides "form.submit()", such as call a server control's postback
    event?

    As for this problem, firstly I should confirm that Kevin has provided the
    very good explanation on submit a form and the mechanism when doing work on
    the page's post back events. Here I'll provide you some additional
    suggestion:

    In addition, we could also use javascript to call a servercontrol's
    postback event. In fact, all the server controls such as an ASP.NET Button,
    when it is output in the response page to client, it is rendered as a
    normal html element, normally it'll be rendered as a <input type=submit />
    or <input type=button /> , yes , just a html button. And as we know, in
    javascript, we can manually fire a html element's DHTML event . For example
    if there is a html button as:
    <input type=button id="btnTest" value="click me to post back" />

    Then, we can use the below javascript code to fire its click event:
    btnTest.click();

    And as for the problem in our issue, you can also use the above code to
    fire a server controls's post back event. Here is a simple sample to show
    this way:

    --------------------------------------------aspx
    file---------------------------------------------
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <title>PostBack</title>
    <script language="javascript">
    function doCheck()
    {
    if(document.all("txtPost").value.length > 4)
    {
    document.all("btnPost").click();
    }
    else
    {
    alert("input text is not enought!");
    </script>
    </HEAD>
    onchange="doCheck()"></td>
    runat="server" style="display:none"></td>
    </form>
    </HTML>
    --------------------------------------------------code-behind page
    class------------------------------------------------------------
    public class PostBack : System.Web.UI.Page
    {
    protected System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlInputButton btnPost;
    protected System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlInputText txtPost;

    //
    //
    InitializeComponent();
    base.OnInit(e);
    }

    /// <summary>
    /// </summary>
    private void InitializeComponent()
    {
    this.btnPost.ServerClick += new
    System.EventHandler(this.btnPost_ServerClick);

    #endregion

    private void btnPost_ServerClick(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    {
    Response.Write("<br>Page is post back at: "+
    System.DateTime.Now.ToLongTimeString());

    Please check out my suggestion to see whether it helps. If you have any
    questions or need any assistance, please feel free to post here.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 21, 2004
  7. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    Hi Steven,

    The reason for the original post was to figure out if my research was valid
    and if so I was looking for a work around. The research I found was the
    "value" property for the <INPUT type="file"...> tag is read only and it is
    read only for security purposes. I assume that is a true statement and it
    seems logical.

    Both your suggestions and Kevin's have helped in my understanding of aspnet
    and ideas for a work around.

    Thanks very much!

    Al

    -

    Al Smith, Jan 21, 2004
  8. Hi Al,

    Thanks for your response. I'm glad that my suggestion has been helpful to
    you. And if you need any further assistance on this issue. Please feel free
    to let me know. I'll be willing to help you.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 23, 2004