HtmlInputFile.PostedFile.InputStream

Guest

I'm trying to solve the uploading big file problem.
why is it that, even if on the server side I specifically write in code to
read ONLY let's say 8 megs of the mm...200meg file, it would still take up
200+megs on the memory, and forcing the aspnet to restart.

I'm trying to solve the problem by dividing up the file,and upload in
different postbacks, instead of the whole 200 megs in one postback.

John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\)

Cant recall if the upload control actually has the forms maxfilesize
property. This stops an upload once the browser realises its too big to
send. HTML Syntax is something like this <input type=hidden
name="maxfilesize" value="someValue"> but you'll have to check the docs to
see if its in there as part of the upload control.

Also, this control here indicates it comes with source code and might have
it available. If not Persits control does, as will a few others.

http://www.asp.net/ControlGallery/ControlDetail.aspx?Control=2294&tabindex=2

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP
Microsoft Regional Director

Guest

well, what I'm looking for is a way to upload a 200mb file.
so the 200mb file will be sent as is to the server, so stopping it at the
browser wouldn't work, as it is 200mb.
what I need is for the server to stop grabbing the file, once it got the 8mb
portion of the 200mb file.
I can see from the memory useage, aspnet is grabbing the whole 200mb file
(same effect if I just saved the entire 200mb directly), while in my code I
only requested 8mb of it.
That is my problem.

I took a look at the control, and it's not free nor open source, so it won't
do me any good. Thanx anyways.