    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    www.jimscott.co.uk
    Jim S, May 6, 2008

  2. Scripsit Jim S:

    > My stylesheet contains the usual
    > a:link {color: white}
    > a:visited {color: #800080}
    > a:hover {color: red}
    > a:active {color: teal}

    That's not usual at all, but it is usual to make the elementary mistake
    of not setting background when setting color. What happens on a browser
    with a user style sheet
    * { color: black; background: white; }
    ?

    > However IE7 gives me an unchangable blue border.

    That's because the border color is a property (the border-color
    property) of the img element. IE has, conceptually, a browser style
    sheet that sets specific border colors for images that are links. You
    need to override that, e.g.

    a:link img { border-color: white; }

    > What I really want is a white frame with a red hover, the rest is a
    > bonus.

    Is the user supposed to guess that in _this_ particular site, white
    border means a link?

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, May 6, 2008

  3. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Tue, 6 May 2008 15:28:19 +0300, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Scripsit Jim S:
    >
    >> My stylesheet contains the usual
    >> a:link {color: white}
    >> a:visited {color: #800080}
    >> a:hover {color: red}
    >> a:active {color: teal}

    > That's not usual at all, but it is usual to make the elementary mistake
    > of not setting background when setting color. What happens on a browser
    > with a user style sheet
    > * { color: black; background: white; }
    > ?

    My backgrounds are all defined.

    >> However IE7 gives me an unchangable blue border.

    > That's because the border color is a property (the border-color
    > property) of the img element. IE has, conceptually, a browser style
    > sheet that sets specific border colors for images that are links. You
    > need to override that, e.g.
    >
    > a:link img { border-color: white; }

    That works - thanks, and so does
    a:hover img { border-color: red; }

    >> What I really want is a white frame with a red hover, the rest is a
    >> bonus.

    > Is the user supposed to guess that in _this_ particular site, white
    > border means a link?

    There's a prompt on the homepage.

    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, May 6, 2008
  4. On Tue, 6 May 2008 15:28:19 +0300, "Jukka K. Korpela"
    <> wrote:

    >> What I really want is a white frame with a red hover, the rest is a
    >> bonus.

    >Is the user supposed to guess that in _this_ particular site, white
    >border means a link?

    Heavens no! How dare he employ non-standard links colors! I'm amazed
    that users on the Internet can even survive with non-standard colors!
    still just me, May 8, 2008