    go from here to fix this? All the files are there, no odd NTFS permissions,
    nothing exotic about this application.

    Thanks!
    David Hunt, Jan 27, 2005

  2. David Hunt

    David Hunt Guest

    Okay, since the OP I discovered that the WHOLE problem is having the ".com"
    as part of the Web application's name.
    WHY can't I have a Web app on the local machine named "MyApp.com" but I can
    have "myApp" ??

    Thanks!

    David Hunt, Jan 27, 2005

  3. David Hunt

    IPGrunt Guest

    "David Hunt" <> confessed in news:#$LtgVLBFHA.1188
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > Okay, since the OP I discovered that the WHOLE problem is having the

    ".com"
    > as part of the Web application's name.
    > WHY can't I have a Web app on the local machine named "MyApp.com" but I

    can
    > have "myApp" ??
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > "David Hunt" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm confused.
    >>
    >> On my development box (XP Pro/SP2), I manually created a new Web
    >> application (under the default Web site) and got everything working

    great
    >> (this was a few weeks ago). Today I manually removed that Web site (via
    >> IIS Manger as well as the underlying NTFS folder structure), and then
    >> rebuilt it all from scratch (created the new NTSF folder structure,
    >> defined the Web site in IIS Manager, manually created the virtual
    >> directories, etc). Now when I go to open it
    >> (http://localhost/TheNewSite.com/) I'm getting HTTP 403.1.
    >>
    >> In comparing the IIS properties between this site and another one that
    >> works fine, I can see NO differences! Execute permissions are set for
    >> [scripts only]. I've rebooted (not that that should help) but no effect.
    >> Where do I go from here to fix this? All the files are there, no odd

    NTFS
    >> permissions, nothing exotic about this application.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    Because a .COM file is the old MS-DOS executable format.

    You don't want people to be able to execute .com, .exe, etc. on your
    webserver. Many viruses/worms were spread this way a few years ago. Have
    you heard of Code Red or NIMDA? That's one of the ways they infected IIS
    servers.

    -- ipgrunt
    IPGrunt, Jan 28, 2005
  4. ..com is a standard domain name extension.

    Whenever a browser parses a uri which ends in ".com",
    it thinks that the domain name is whatever came previous
    to that, plus the .com extension,

    So, if you have
    http://www.yourserver.com/MyApp.com
    the browser will look for the domain
    www.yourserver.com/MyApp
    which doesn't exist, of course.

    If you application ends in *any* standard domain extension,
    like .com, .net, or .biz, or .info, or any other, like .tv,
    you will *always* get a non-existent domain returned.

    Therefore, you can't name any application
    using standard domain extensions.

    You can only name *domains* with those extensions.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ===========

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 28, 2005
  5. David Hunt

    gullsinn

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    right click on wwwroot
    go to properties
    click on "web sharing" tab
    add Aliases
    set you whole or intepub/wwwroot/domain.com/ folder's permission = "execute " [includ scripts]
    gullsinn, Oct 4, 2009