HTTP 404 error

Ray Stevens

I am able to successfully build and test a ASP.NET 2.0 Web Service on my
local machine. However, when I deploy it to a test server I am getting an
HTTP 404 error stating that the page or file cannot be found.

Is there some IIS setting for this that I need to know about?

Fernando Monteiro

I am able to successfully build and test a ASP.NET 2.0 Web Service on my
local machine. However, when I deploy it to a test server I am getting an
HTTP 404 error stating that the page or file cannot be found.

Is there some IIS setting for this that I need to know about?

I spent two hours on this issue a few time ago...

Check http://tabletdev.com/andy/archive/2005/10/31/819.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Fernando Monteiro

andy

Hi , i have the same error but this does not relate to what fernando
says as other pages work ok in my app.

So ive reached the part of my project where i need now to upgrade .net
1.1 webservices into 2.0.
The project (running locally) compiles no probs.
At this point i used the Publish web component to transfer the files to
my local webserver (http://localhost....)
Publish seems to work really well, am really impressed.

But then i go to navigate to my webservice to test it. But the server
page just tells me my favourite error : "The page cannot be found"
So i googled around a bit, and of course, i need to upgrade IIS
application from 1.1 to 2.0, did this no probs.

But still the same error. I cant get .net to recognise there are
webservices built in .net 2.0 on the local machine. Im defo running IIS
in 2.0.
Im sure its something to do with aspnet user account, but am unsure
where and what security settings to check..... any ideas ???

Thanks again for help !!!

Andy
ps i put the webservices in the app_code path is this ok ?

John Harvey

How is IIS configured on the deployment machine? By default, on Win2K3
server, IIS 6 is installed with ASP Pages disabled...requests for any
aspx, asmx, etc, will result in a 404 error.

andy

I made the error of placing the webservices in a directory other than
the route.
In 1.1 you are allowed to do this, in 2.0 its not allowed for controls
or webservices, maybe its this

Josh Twist

Go into IIS and check the Home Directory of your virtual directory.
Does it end in a "\"? If so, this will cause your problem. You should
check the Home Directory of your IIS root and other parent directories
also.

Here's an example. If the virtual directory http://localhost/MyExample
is mapped to the following path "C:\test\" you will have this problem
(change it to "c:\test"). If your IIS root is mapped to "C:\" or "E:\"
you will also have this problem but I'm afraid there is not much you
can do about this, you'll have to shift your folders up one level.

This should give you some background:

Josh
http://www.thejoyofcode.com/