HTTP 500 status error

mahajan.vibhor

Hello

I have installed JDK 1.4.06 and Tomcat 5.0.28 on Win2000 machine. I
have set JAVA_HOME to java home directory and not bin directory.

I am able to run Tomcat default index. jsp page and examples of JSP and
servelet provided with the Tomcat.

When I try run my jsp and servelet I get error HTTP 500 status error
with this message "Unable to find a javac compiler;
com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath. Perhaps JAVA_HOME
does not point to the JDK"

I have set JAVA_HOME for both user nad system variables. I also tried
setting CATALINA_HOME to Tomcat hoime directory. Setting of CLASSPATH
variable is also not working.

Thanks in advance

JScoobyCed

Hello

I have installed JDK 1.4.06 and Tomcat 5.0.28 on Win2000 machine. I
have set JAVA_HOME to java home directory and not bin directory.

I am able to run Tomcat default index. jsp page and examples of JSP and
servelet provided with the Tomcat.

When I try run my jsp and servelet I get error HTTP 500 status error
with this message "Unable to find a javac compiler;
com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath. Perhaps JAVA_HOME
does not point to the JDK"

I have set JAVA_HOME for both user nad system variables. I also tried
setting CATALINA_HOME to Tomcat hoime directory. Setting of CLASSPATH
variable is also not working.

Thanks in advance

It seems you have set the JAVA_HOME to the JRE, not the JDK. When you
install java from the j2sdk installer, it will put the public JRE in
(for windows) c:\program files\java\jre. But also it installs the SDK in
c:\j2sdk_xxx by default, or any path you have specified. In this folder
there is another jre (the same, just a duplication for development purpose).
So you should set the JAVA_HOME to the SDK path, not the JRE.