HTTP 503 (Service Unavailable) error when calling a webservice inside the network

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Dilip, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Dilip

    Dilip Guest

    Hello

    This problem has been driving me mad for the past few days. I am
    basically writing a generic utility in .NET/C# that can read any WSDL
    file (over internet, intranet, localdir etc), generate dynamic proxy
    on the fly and allow the user to invoke the methods.

    It works perfectly *except* in these scenarios:

    1) If I try to call a webservice deployed on another machine _within_
    our network (LAN), WebResponse.GetResponse() fails with a Server
    Unavailable Error (503).
    2) To solve the above if I specify the correct proxy settings using
    WebProxy.Address property, the WSDL file is retrieved alright.
    2A) However if I assign WebRequest.Proxy with
    WebProxy.GetDefaultProxy() then the WSDL retrieval fails again. But
    lets for the moment ignore this and assume I am ok with step 2.
    3) After I successfully create the dynamic proxy (using CodeDOM et
    al), the MethodInfo.Invoke(objectinstance, argsforthemethod) blows up
    with a WebException. I am attaching the stack trace in the bottom of
    this mail.
    4) I tried setting the Proxy property of SoapHttpClientProtocol
    (objectinstance.GetProperty("Proxy") et al) but that has no effect.
    5) Everything works PERFECTLY WELL if I access a public domain WSDL on
    the internet (with or without the proxy settings -- it doesnt seem to
    matter).

    So bottom line is can somebody *please* tell me why this is not
    working in the LAN scenario? and that too only when I invoke the
    method and not when I retrieve the WSDL file?

    Stacktrace follows:
    ==================
    Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 503:
    Service Unavailable.
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage
    message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
    methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at WebServices.dynamicProxyGenerator.DynamicProxy.AMSWebService.echoHeartBeat(String
    bstrEchoData)

    Additional Info:
    ================
    WebException.Response ---> System.Net.HttpWebResponse
    WebException.Source ---> System.Web.Services
    WebException.Status ---> ProtocolError
    WebException.TargetSite.Name ---> ReadResponse

    I ran Simon Fell's (www.pocketsoap.com) excellent tcpTrace utility.
    In the LAN case I am able to see a GET request for my WSDL file (GET
    /amswebservice/amswebservice.wsdl HTTP/1.1) and the subsequent
    response. But when a method is invoked it doesn't even seem to hit
    the webserver. Its intercepted somewhere in between and I can't
    figure out where.

    thanks a ton!
    --Dilip

    Dilip, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Dilip

    Dilip Guest

    (Dilip) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello
    > [snipped...]
    >
    > So bottom line is can somebody *please* tell me why this is not
    > working in the LAN scenario? and that too only when I invoke the
    > method and not when I retrieve the WSDL file?

    I fixed this myself. Apparently I neglected to set the same proxy
    server configuration on SoapHttpClientProtocol.Proxy property.

    I still can't understand one point though. I basically copied the
    entire proxy server settings found on IE's Tools->Internet
    Options->Connection->LAN Settings page into
    SoapHttpClientProtocol.Proxy property. However the application fails
    if I simply call WebProxy.GetDefaultProxy(). what is the difference
    between these 2 ways of setting up proxies? Why does the former work
    while the latter fails?

    thanks
    --Dilip

    Dilip, Jul 18, 2003