    Regards,

    Toni Karhu
    http://www.tonik.net
    Tonik, Oct 20, 2005

  2. Tonik

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 20 Oct 2005 06:17:04 -0700, "Tonik" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >Does can anyone explain why HTTP a stateless protocol and HTTPS is a
    >stateful protol.

    One piece of state for https is the key which presumably is not
    renegotiated at every transaction. (Is it?). HTTP piggybacks on
    TCP/IP which does have state.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Oct 21, 2005

  3. Tonik wrote:

    > Does can anyone explain why HTTP a stateless protocol and HTTPS is a
    > stateful protol. In my understanding they both make stateless requests
    > to the server. Is it that HTTPS only maintains a state for the ssl
    > communication but it cant be used in the web applications in any way.

    HTTP opens a new connection for each request. HTTPS reuses the same
    connection. At least that used to be the case many years ago. These days
    it's just one author copying another, possibly with some explanation
    worked backwards. The distinction is irrelevant.

    Tom Hawtin
    --
    Unemployed English Java programmer
    http://jroller.com/page/tackline/