http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/205183 idiom

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gabriel Rossetti, Mar 18, 2008.

  1. Hello,

    I am reading core python python programming and it talks about using the
    idiom
    described on
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/205183 .

    I'm using python 2.5.1 and if I try :

    class MyClass(object):
    def __init__(self):
    self._foo = "foo"
    self._bar = "bar"

    @property
    def foo():
    doc = "property foo's doc string"
    def fget(self):
    return self._foo
    def fset(self, value):
    self._foo = value
    def fdel(self):
    del self._foo
    return locals() # credit: David Niergarth

    @property
    def bar():
    doc = "bar is readonly"
    def fget(self):
    return self._bar
    return locals()

    like suggested in the book (the decorator usage) I get this :

    >>> a=MyClass()
    >>> a.foo

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    TypeError: foo() takes no arguments (1 given)

    but if I write it just like on the web page (without the decorator, using "x = property(**x())" instead) it works :

    >>> a = MyClass()
    >>> a.foo

    'foo'

    does anyone have an idea as of why this is happening?

    Thanks,
    Gabriel
    Gabriel Rossetti, Mar 18, 2008