http encodings

Discussion in 'Python' started by Manlio Perillo, May 29, 2004.

  1. Hi.
    RFC 2068 (Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1), introduces 4
    encoding names:

    identity
    gzip (x-gzip)
    compress (x-compress)
    deflate

    Unfortunately standard Python library does not includes these codecs
    in the codec registry, ad example with an http_encodings package.
    This will allow one to do:
    data = read().encode( getheader('Content-encoding').split() )

    Actually identity codec is banal.
    -gzip: it is easy to implement using gzip module (I have written the
    encode and decode methods, but it should be possible to write also
    StreamWriter and StreamReader classes)

    -deflate: codec is the same as zlib_codec?

    -compress: where can I find it?

    Thanks and regards Manlio Perillo

    Manlio Perillo, May 29, 2004

  2. Manlio Perillo

    John J. Lee Guest

    Manlio Perillo <> writes:

    > Hi.
    > RFC 2068 (Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1), introduces 4
    > encoding names:
    >
    > identity
    > gzip (x-gzip)
    > compress (x-compress)
    > deflate

    [...]
    > Actually identity codec is banal.
    > -gzip: it is easy to implement using gzip module (I have written the
    > encode and decode methods, but it should be possible to write also
    > StreamWriter and StreamReader classes)

    Would be good to have these. Maybe this is useful:

    http://effbot.org/zone/consumer-gzip.htm

    > -deflate: codec is the same as zlib_codec?
    >
    > -compress: where can I find it?

    Dunno, but section 3.5 of RFC 2616 (the latest HTTP/1.1 RFC) certainly
    makes a distinction between the three encodings.

    John

    John J. Lee, May 31, 2004