http://http://

Discussion in 'HTML' started by windandwaves, Mar 8, 2006.

  1. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    windandwaves, Mar 8, 2006

  2. windandwaves

    Jim Higson Guest

    windandwaves wrote:

    > Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter http://http://whateveryouwanthere

    Probably because you're using a Microsoft browser or operating system. The
    URL is invalid.

    I can't test because I don't have any MS software. This doesn't sound too
    bad though, I doubt very many people will type that URL.

    --
    Jim

    Jim Higson, Mar 8, 2006

  3. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    Jim Higson wrote:
    > windandwaves wrote:
    >
    >> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter
    >> http://http://whateveryouwanthere

    > Probably because you're using a Microsoft browser or operating
    > system. The URL is invalid.
    >
    > I can't test because I don't have any MS software. This doesn't sound
    > too bad though, I doubt very many people will type that URL.

    But it occured in firefox. If I type

    ada;lskjf asld;kfjakls;djf ajf (as in a bad url) in the address bar, i dont
    go to MS.

    also check this out:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=http://&btnG=Search

    I think Firefox is redirecting bad urls

    windandwaves, Mar 8, 2006
  4. windandwaves

    Alan Cole Guest

    In article <7czPf.4807$>,
    "windandwaves" <> wrote:

    > Jim Higson wrote:
    > > windandwaves wrote:
    > >
    > >> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter
    > >> http://http://whateveryouwanthere

    > > Probably because you're using a Microsoft browser or operating
    > > system. The URL is invalid.
    > >
    > > I can't test because I don't have any MS software. This doesn't sound
    > > too bad though, I doubt very many people will type that URL.

    > But it occured in firefox. If I type
    >
    > ada;lskjf asld;kfjakls;djf ajf (as in a bad url) in the address bar, i dont
    > go to MS.
    >
    > also check this out:
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=http://&btnG=Search
    >
    > I think Firefox is redirecting bad urls

    That is weird... I get taken to microsoft too if I type in
    http://http:// and it has nothing to do with microsoft software as that
    is in Firefix running on a Mac... Most bizarre.

    Al.

    --
    Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
    http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]

    Alan Cole, Mar 8, 2006
  5. windandwaves wrote:

    > Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter http://http://whateveryouwanthere

    That's Firefox trying to be smart. I (correctly) recognizes your input as
    'not an URL'. It will then fire-up a google search for it and sends you to
    the first hit.

    And for some reason MS is the top-site for 'http'.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Mar 8, 2006
  6. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    > windandwaves wrote:
    >
    >> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter
    >> http://http://whateveryouwanthere

    > That's Firefox trying to be smart. I (correctly) recognizes your
    > input as 'not an URL'. It will then fire-up a google search for it
    > and sends you to the first hit.
    >
    > And for some reason MS is the top-site for 'http'.

    Yep, I worked that out. Fascinating!

    windandwaves, Mar 8, 2006
  7. On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Benjamin Niemann wrote:

    > windandwaves wrote:
    >
    > > Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter http://http://whateveryouwanthere

    > That's Firefox trying to be smart. I (correctly) recognizes your input as
    > 'not an URL'. It will then fire-up a google search for it and sends you to
    > the first hit.
    >
    > And for some reason MS is the top-site for 'http'.

    Well, Mozilla takes me to http://www.http.com , which has nothing to
    do with MS. The browser is still being too clever for its own good!

    $ host www.http.com
    www.http.com has address 207.44.141.40
    $ host 207.44.141.40
    40.141.44.207.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
    ev1s-207-44-141-40.ev1servers.net.

    See also http://whois.webhosting.info/207.44.141.40

    Alan J. Flavell, Mar 8, 2006
  8. windandwaves

    Jim Higson Guest

    Benjamin Niemann wrote:

    > windandwaves wrote:
    >
    >> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter http://http://whateveryouwanthere

    > That's Firefox trying to be smart. I (correctly) recognizes your input as
    > 'not an URL'. It will then fire-up a google search for it and sends you to
    > the first hit.
    >
    > And for some reason MS is the top-site for 'http'.

    I don't know what's stranger, that the browser silently redirects to a
    Google search, or that Google's usually excellent indexing comes up with
    such a lousy result.

    At least they have this near the top:
    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/

    This is probably a bit like searching for 'PHP' - you sometimes get a load
    of pages that just have ".php" in the URL and are nothing to do with the
    language.

    Jim Higson, Mar 8, 2006
  9. windandwaves

    Jim Higson Guest

    Jim Higson wrote:

    > Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    >
    >> windandwaves wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter
    >>> http://http://whateveryouwanthere

    >> That's Firefox trying to be smart. I (correctly) recognizes your input as
    >> 'not an URL'. It will then fire-up a google search for it and sends you
    >> to the first hit.
    >>
    >> And for some reason MS is the top-site for 'http'.

    > I don't know what's stranger, that the browser silently redirects to a
    > Google search, or that Google's usually excellent indexing comes up with
    > such a lousy result.
    >
    > At least they have this near the top:
    > http://www.w3.org/Protocols/
    >
    > This is probably a bit like searching for 'PHP' - you sometimes get a load
    > of pages that just have ".php" in the URL and are nothing to do with the
    > language.

    Heh. Also, Googling for "https" just brings up a load of high-ranked secure
    pages!

    --
    Jim

    Jim Higson, Mar 8, 2006
  10. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "windandwaves"
    <> writing in news:jQyPf.4806$JZ1.113641
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter

    http://http://whateveryouwanthere

    >> Nicolaas

    With Opera I got:
    <quote>
    Not Found
    The requested URL //whateveryouwanthere was not found on this server.

    Apache/1.3.22 Server at www.any.com Port 80
    </quote>

    With IE (6) I got DNS error cannot find server

    With Firefox, indeed I got Microsoft.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 8, 2006
  11. Jim Higson wrote:

    > windandwaves wrote:
    >
    >> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter
    >> http://http://whateveryouwanthere

    > Probably because you're using a Microsoft browser or operating system. The
    > URL is invalid.

    Like with Firefox on Linux, here, where that happens? :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 8, 2006
  12. Alan J. Flavell wrote:

    > On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    >
    >> windandwaves wrote:
    >>
    >> > Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter
    >> > http://http://whateveryouwanthere

    >> That's Firefox trying to be smart. I (correctly) recognizes your input as
    >> 'not an URL'. It will then fire-up a google search for it and sends you
    >> to the first hit.
    >>
    >> And for some reason MS is the top-site for 'http'.

    > Well, Mozilla takes me to http://www.http.com , which has nothing to
    > do with MS. The browser is still being too clever for its own good!

    The OP's 'trick' works fine under FF 1.5/Linux here. Perhaps you've done
    something relevant to your config.

    It's getting even funnier/confusing, if you accidently click the middle
    mouse button somewhere in the window - at least under Linux, don't know, if
    the Windows version behaves this way, too. FF will then open whatever 'URL'
    is in the clipboard.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Mar 8, 2006
  13. On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Benjamin Niemann wrote:

    > Alan J. Flavell wrote:
    >
    > > Well, Mozilla takes me to http://www.http.com , which has nothing to
    > > do with MS. The browser is still being too clever for its own good!

    > The OP's 'trick' works fine under FF 1.5/Linux here. Perhaps you've done
    > something relevant to your config.

    Sure - automatic search was an installation option, AFAIR,
    and I didn't take that option.

    Alan J. Flavell, Mar 8, 2006
  14. Benjamin Niemann wrote:

    > It's getting even funnier/confusing, if you accidently click the middle
    > mouse button somewhere in the window - at least under Linux, don't know,
    > if the Windows version behaves this way, too. FF will then open whatever
    > 'URL' is in the clipboard.

    That's not funny -- that's a convenience, and I love it. :) I think
    there's even a FF extension to make it work that way with Windows. (I
    should track it down -- I hate that with Windows I have to fiddle around
    pasting the URL into the address bar. For that matter, I'm also spoiled
    by whatever I highlight automatically going to the clipboard; I always
    forget that I have to bother with keystrokes to get it there, in Windows.

    Highlight copies to clipboard; middleclick pastes (to wherever - not just
    a FF thing). Superby efficient.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 8, 2006
  15. windandwaves

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    windandwaves wrote:
    > Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    >> windandwaves wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why do we go to Microsoft when we enter
    >>> http://http://whateveryouwanthere

    >> That's Firefox trying to be smart. I (correctly) recognizes your
    >> input as 'not an URL'. It will then fire-up a google search for it
    >> and sends you to the first hit.
    >>
    >> And for some reason MS is the top-site for 'http'.

    > Yep, I worked that out. Fascinating!

    To be pedantic, w3.org is the top site for 'http'. Microsoft is the top
    site for 'http://http://'

    Nik Coughlin, Mar 8, 2006
  16. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    > Alan J. Flavell wrote:

    >>> That's Firefox trying to be smart. I (correctly) recognizes your
    >>> input as 'not an URL'. It will then fire-up a google search for it
    >>> and sends you to the first hit.
    >>>
    >>> And for some reason MS is the top-site for 'http'.

    >> Well, Mozilla takes me to http://www.http.com , which has nothing to
    >> do with MS. The browser is still being too clever for its own good!

    > The OP's 'trick' works fine under FF 1.5/Linux here. Perhaps you've
    > done something relevant to your config.
    >
    > It's getting even funnier/confusing, if you accidently click the
    > middle mouse button somewhere in the window - at least under Linux,
    > don't know, if the Windows version behaves this way, too. FF will
    > then open whatever 'URL' is in the clipboard.

    I dont have a middle mouse button, but that may have been intended like that
    for firefox.

    windandwaves, Mar 8, 2006
  17. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    >
    >> It's getting even funnier/confusing, if you accidently click the middle
    >> mouse button somewhere in the window - at least under Linux, don't know,
    >> if the Windows version behaves this way, too. FF will then open whatever
    >> 'URL' is in the clipboard.

    > That's not funny -- that's a convenience, and I love it. :)

    Me too, though I prefer it to be ask before google is consulted, as
    Konqueror does.
    Combined with the function of the middle button to open a link in a new tab,
    which I frequently use, some users might be rather confused, if they miss a
    link by a few pixels.

    > I think
    > there's even a FF extension to make it work that way with Windows. (I
    > should track it down -- I hate that with Windows I have to fiddle around
    > pasting the URL into the address bar. For that matter, I'm also spoiled
    > by whatever I highlight automatically going to the clipboard; I always
    > forget that I have to bother with keystrokes to get it there, in Windows.
    >
    > Highlight copies to clipboard; middleclick pastes (to wherever - not just
    > a FF thing). Superby efficient.

    That's the usual convention under UNIX and it always takes me a few moments
    too, until I realize that this does not work under Win...

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Mar 9, 2006
  18. On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:38:52 +1300, "Nik Coughlin" <>
    wrote:

    >windandwaves wrote:
    >> Benjamin Niemann wrote:

    >>> That's Firefox trying to be smart. I (correctly) recognizes your
    >>> input as 'not an URL'. It will then fire-up a google search for it
    >>> and sends you to the first hit.
    >>>
    >>> And for some reason MS is the top-site for 'http'.

    >> Yep, I worked that out. Fascinating!

    >To be pedantic, w3.org is the top site for 'http'. Microsoft is the top
    >site for 'http://http://'

    I just googled http and Microsoft came up first.

    When I put http://http://whateveryouwanthere in the address bar in
    Fireforx I was redirected to Microsoft. But when I put it in the
    address bar of IE I got a 404.

    --
    Mental Anarchy - Free Your Mind
    http://mentalanarchy.com

    Antonio Forza, Mar 9, 2006
  19. Alan Cole wrote:
> [...]

    <snip>
    > That is weird... I get taken to microsoft too if I type in
    > http://http:// and it has nothing to do with microsoft software as that
    > is in Firefix running on a Mac... Most bizarre.

    Under SeaMonkey on a Mac, I get

    While trying to retrieve the URL:
    http://http.lboro.ac.uk//whateveryouwanthere

    The following error was encountered:

    Unable to determine IP address from host name for http.lboro.ac.uk

    Stewart.

    --

    the 'group where everyone may benefit.

    Stewart Gordon, Mar 14, 2006