HTTP Module - Global Error Handler

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Win, Pats, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. Win, Pats

    Win, Pats Guest

    Sorry if this is OT, I'm not sure where else to research this...

    I recently added a "global error handler" via an HTTP Module so I could log
    all otherwise unhandled exceptions.

    Every day I get a number of exceptions in one of my sites (published on the
    Internet) that are as follows:
    Message: Exception of type System.Web.HttpException was thrown
    Source: System.Web
    Member: Method
    MemberName: MapHttpHandler

    The User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Yahoo! Slurp;
    http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/slurp)

    The value of RawURL shows me that it is requesting pages that simply do not
    exist in the Web site. The pages requested have only existed in the past
    (more than a year ago).

    What can I do about this? I'm tired this crawler causing these exceptions.
    Alternatively, is this simply something I have to live with as anyone can
    request a non existant page and I'd get this error (in which case I'd be
    better off having my logging routine ignore these exceptions)?

    Thoughts? Perspective?

    Thankse!

    Win, Pats, Feb 11, 2005

  2. pretty much you have to live with this one, or if you are so concerned about
    the errors you can always resurct these pages as blank pages so that the
    crawler will find a valid page and not thrown an exception. I wouldn't
    bother about it really. Alternatively, you can modify your handler to filter
    out these errors and not report them.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

    [Shameless Author plug]
    Now Available @ http://www.lulu.com/owc

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Feb 11, 2005

  3. Win, Pats

    Scott Allen Guest

    Another site might still have links pointing to the non-existant
    pages. You can try to track these down, but it might not be worth the
    effort (just be sure the bad links aren't on your site).

    In any case, you'll always see requests for files that don't exist.
    Sometimes these will be a search engine poking around, sometimes it
    can be someone looking for vulnerabilities to exploit.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Feb 11, 2005