HTTP POST Missing Information

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by David Davidson, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. I'm just wondering if anybody's seen a problem with their web server recently
    that's similar to the following: about two weeks ago some clients on our
    intranet started experiencing lost sessions - they would be automatically
    redirected back to our default page when doing a normal "postback" (like
    clicking a Save or a Search button).

    After researching the logs, we saw HTTP POST lines with missing SESSIONID
    entries. In fact, the HTTP POSTs have no Form or Cookie collections. I
    haven't done it yet, but I'm planning on using Fiddler to verify the client
    is actually sending them. It happens only with clients on our intranet (Win
    XP Pro boxes), only with certain pages (seem to have very large ViewStates
    and, thus, large Forms collections), and intermittently with no discernable
    pattern. Sometimes the pages work and have all the necessary info included
    with the HTTP POST, sometimes the info is missing and a new session is
    started.

    The web server is in a DMZ behind a Symantec Raptor firewall and has a
    reverse-proxy server as well (which is not controlled by us so I don't have
    much info on it at the moment).

    I am leaning towards the possibility of update MS05-054 causing the problem,
    but I'm still troubleshooting. The problem may be the client or the reverse
    proxy server - the web server is definitely not receiving the Forms and
    Cookie collections on some HTTP POSTs.

    Has anybody out there seen something similar?

    - Dave

    David Davidson, Jan 24, 2006

  2. Hello Dave,

    Normally, this kind of problem mostly are caused by proxy or firewall, you
    may first confirm if the problem wouldn't occur if the client request is
    not crossing the proxy or firewall. Also you may perform a TCP trace on
    client side (for example, with netmon) and server side, check the detailed
    http content sent between them and where the Forms and Cookie collections
    are lost.

    Luke Zhang

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Jan 24, 2006

  3. Thanks for the response - been doing exactly what you just suggested all day
    today. I scoured over firewall and web server logs, pinpointing the date the
    problem started (January 6th), and set up a notebook computer with Ethereal
    for use as a packet sniffer. (Can't bypass the firewall or proxy because
    this is a production environment, and we can't duplicate the problem on our
    development network.) I'm still thinking the problem is with the proxy
    server, but will know for sure tomorrow morning when I finish looking over
    the capture files. Also, I'm still looking at update MS05-054 as the
    possible culprit so I must ask again, anybody else seeing a problem like this?

    - Dave

    David Davidson, Jan 25, 2006
  4. I am working with several computers installed update MS05-054 but no same
    issues found. It is mostly a proxy related problem. Let's see what you can
    find from the sniffer result.

    Luke

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Jan 26, 2006