"HTTP redirect request failed"...solution but why?!

GreggTB

I've been working on what appears to be a cursed ASP.NET project....so
many things have gone wrong that Murphy would be proud. ;-)

Anyway, I shut down the project in VS.NET at one point this afternoon
and when I tried going back in, I received the following message:

"The web server reported the following error when attempting to create
or open the web project located at the following URL:
'http//localhost/ABCXYZ', 'The HTTP redirect request failed'"

Thankfully, I found this resource:

"The http redirect request failed."
http://weblogs.asp.net/mhawley/archive/2004/03/15/89764.aspx

It did eventually work but I certainly had to jump through a number of
hoops as it didn't seem to work the first time...

1.) Closed VS.NET,
2.) Cleared all cookies and temp internet files,
3.) Opened web project directory's \BIN folder
4.) Deleted the project DLL's and the PDB files.
5.) Added specified entry to Global.ASAX
6.) Restarted computer,
7.) Opened VS.NET and opened solution....successful!
8.) Opened web project's properties window
9.) Noticed reference pointing to a usb thumb drive...removed
reference.
10.) Recompiled.
11.) Closed VS.NET.
12.) Opened VS.NET and opened solution....successful!

Now I'm delighted that the project is working again...I just wanted to
know: does anyone know WHY this particular solution works? Right now,
it just seems to be voodoo programming....

http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/V/voodoo-programming.html

Any insights as to what actually causes this issue would be greatly
appreciated.

Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]

You can't always explain voodoo so you should just move on... I know that
aint what you looking for but if your solution works, fuhgetaboutit

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

[Shameless Author Plug]
Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon.com etc

Damien

GreggTB said:
Yeah...I know you're right. But I still wish I knew why. ;-)

I have no idea, unless you have some funny 404 handling on your site?
Since when I try to access the get_aspx_ver.aspx file directly (by
typing in address bar), I get a 404 rather than a normal response?