HTTP Status 401 -- WebServer calling WebService

Howard Hoffman

I am trying to 'flow' a Windows Identity from an IE Browser to a Web Server
to an App Server (hosted by ASP.NET, exposing WebService interface).
Everything is within the same firewall / network.

I'm seeing the identity flow from Browser to Web Server, but it doesn't flow
over to the App Server / Web Service.

I had thought this would work, but perhaps I'm mistaken. It *does* work if
everything is on the same machine.

Machine A is W2K Advanced Server, with AuthorsWebClient ASP.NET Web Server
application.
The IIS virutal directory Directory Security tab is setup to *not* allow
anonymous access. Integrated Windows Authentication is checked.

The web.config file has <identity impersonate="true"/> and <authentication
mode="Windows"/>.

In the web server, I make a call to a web service running on Machine B.
Before calling the web service, I set

Proxy.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;

where 'Proxy' is the VS.NET Generated (via WebReference) proxy for the web
service.

Machine B is running XP. It's got AuthorsWebService, an ASP.NET Web
Service application. The IIS virtual directory Directory Security tab is
setup
to *not* allow anonymous access. Integrated Windows Authentication is
checked.

The web.config file of the Web Service has <identity impersonate="true"/>
and <authentication mode="Windows"/>.

If I disallow anonymous access to the Web Service virtual directory, I get
HTTP 401 errors at the point where Machine A calls the web service on
Machine B. If I allow anonymous access to the Web Service virtual
directory, I get in to the Web Service, but I have a Windows Principal
with an Identity that has an empty Name value.

Especially in light of

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;811318

I'm confused. Can anyone tell me whether I can flow identity across the
web server to the web service (across machines)?

Thanks in advance,

Howard Hoffman