http to https switching

LVP

Hello,

What are the ways to switch from http to https.

Is there a way internal to IIS 6.0 or x.xx? Some configuration?
Is there a way via DNS?

I have seen Scripts in VB and JavaScript

What are my choices when the website has multiple entry points.

We are running IIS 6.0 on Win2K3 using CRM

Thank you,

LVP

George Ter-Saakov

A bit confused by your question.
https implies that browser had send server information encrypted.

So you can not do "internal" switching. You can always check
Request.IsSecureConnection and redirect to secured version with https if
you need to

George.

LVP

George,

Sorry for the confusion.

when a user types: http:\\www.mysecurewebsite.com I want them to be
directed to https://www.mysecurewebsite.com
I have done this on two of my websites.
when a website has multiple entries and I have no control of the website
code at all I need to redirect the user to the https in the easiest way
possible

Is there a way internal to IIS 6.0 or x.xx? Some configuration?
Is there a way via DNS?

I have seen Scripts in VB and JavaScript

What are my choices when the website has multiple entry points.

We are running IIS 6.0 on Win2K3 using CRM

Any more questions please let me know

Thank You,

LVP

LVP

Thanks Mark,

I read the article and there are some issues noted in the discussion.
I wonder if there is a concrete solution with less configuration.

The big cheese/wig wants it done in less than 48 hours on production without
testing or leaving very little time for testing.
How to convince the monster not the monkey around I don't know.

Thanks

LVP

Naraendirakumar R.R.

LVP:
If you are looking for a quick hack ... This is a decent one
http://blog.kyanmedia.com/archives/2007/6/28/forcing_https_in_iis_60/

An alternative, does your company use a network load balancer or firewall in
front of your web servers? If so, you might be able to solve it there.
Most NLB/firewalls have a built in feature to push http traffic to use
https.

Hope this helps.

-Naraen
http://naraen.spaces.live.com

LVP said:
Thanks Mark,

I read the article and there are some issues noted in the discussion.
I wonder if there is a concrete solution with less configuration.

The big cheese/wig wants it done in less than 48 hours on production
without testing or leaving very little time for testing.
How to convince the monster not the monkey around I don't know.

Thanks

LVP

Mark Rae [MVP]

I wonder if there is a concrete solution with less configuration.

I'm not sure how much less configuration you could want...

You simply add the DLL to your project and then make a few modifications to
web.config...
The big cheese/wig wants it done in less than 48 hours

It should take no longer than five minutes...

LVP

thank you for you input,

You miss understood me.
I think it is irresponsible to change something in 5 minutes then deploy it
on production without any thorough testing.

I don't have full trust of the solution yet. it might be the perfect one.

Thanks again

LVP

Mark Rae [MVP]

You misunderstood me.

Likewise, I think...
I think it is irresponsible to change something in 5 minutes then deploy
it on production without any thorough testing.

So do I, and that's not in fact what I said...

When I mentioned five minutes, I was referring to the time required to do
the configuration, not the testing...

LVP

Naraendirakumar,

This works but

the Change the Message Type to URL does not work, I had to use <File>
Also getting security challenge dialog, which is site related.

When using URL I get File can not be displayed, so it tried to redirect but
fails to see the file.
Not sure why.

Any ways, File works for now
Might try different solutions.