  1. Guest

    How can i write an http client under unix?

    , Apr 12, 2006

  2. Default User Guest

    wrote:

    > How can i write an http client under unix?

    Carefully.

    Brian

    Default User, Apr 13, 2006

  3. Ian Collins Guest

    wrote:
    > How can i write an http client under unix?

    Well that depends on your skills and the help you get on a more
    appropriate group.

    --
    Ian Collins.

    Ian Collins, Apr 13, 2006
  4. Flash Gordon Guest

    wrote:
    > How can i write an http client under unix?

    By using libraries that are not part of standard C and therefore are not
    on topic here. comp.unix.programmer is a better place for Unix related
    questions, or one of the networking groups, but I would suggest that you
    probably need to do a bit of work yourself rather than asking such an
    all encompassing question.

    Flash Gordon, Apr 13, 2006
  5. said:

    > How can i write an http client under unix?

    The HTTP/1.1 protocol is available here:

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2616.html

    With the trivial exception of the networking code, a simple client can be
    written entirely in ISO C. And if you can connect your stdin and stdout to
    the network (which, IIRC, is possible via inetd), you can do the whole
    thing in ISO C. Having said that, you're so likely to run up against
    system-specific problems (such as image display and, of course, the
    networking if you're not using a stdin/stdout trick) that you'd be better
    off asking this question in a Unix newsgroup such as comp.unix.programmer.
    Assuming they don't just say "we already have plenty of browsers, we really
    don't need another one", they may turn out to be quite helpful.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Apr 13, 2006
  6. Micah Cowan Guest

    writes:

    > How can i write an http client under unix?

    This is not at all topical for this NG (followups set).

    However, you might look into libwww, which was written by the W3C.

    http://www.w3.org/Library/

    --
    Micah J. Cowan
    http://micah.cowan.name/

    Micah Cowan, Apr 13, 2006
  7. On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 00:40:31 +0100,
    Flash Gordon <> wrote
    in Msg. <-gordon.me.uk>

    > By using libraries that are not part of standard C and therefore are not
    > on topic here.

    Not true; it can all be done with stdin/stdout.

    robert

    Robert Latest, Apr 13, 2006
  8. Flash Gordon Guest

    Robert Latest wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 00:40:31 +0100,
    > Flash Gordon <> wrote
    > in Msg. <-gordon.me.uk>
    >
    >> By using libraries that are not part of standard C and therefore are not
    >> on topic here.

    > Not true; it can all be done with stdin/stdout.

    I didn't say it could not be done using stdin/stdout, I just said it
    could be done using libraries that are not part of the standard C.
    However not all unix like systems come with SW that would allow you to
    connect stdin/stdout of one program to a TCP/IP port on another system
    (remember, the OP wanted a client rather than server, to inetd is not
    appropriate).

    Flash Gordon, Apr 13, 2006
  9. On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:22:23 +0100,
    Flash Gordon <> wrote
    in Msg. <-gordon.me.uk>

    > (remember, the OP wanted a client rather than server, to inetd is not
    > appropriate).

    Oops, my bad. Of course inetd was what I was thinking of.

    robert

    Robert Latest, Apr 13, 2006