http webrequest and certificates

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?ZGVlcGFr?=, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. We retrieve data from a company called XYZ through httpwebrequest.
    The program is coded using VB.NET
    They have given a certificate to install.
    This certificate is included with the request object. I use httpwebrequest
    to retrieve the data. The certificate is included with the client
    certificates collection of the httpwebrequest object.

    When this component is called from a windows application, I can retrieve the
    data.
    When this component is called from a web page, I get the following error
    The remote server returned an error 403 forbidden.
    we have no special setting in machine.config for the section processmodel.
    The aspnet process is running under the username aspnet.
    if I deploy my component in COM+, it runs successfully.
    we feel it is because of permission issue for the user ASPNET .
    I have used winhttpcertcfg tool from microsoft to give access to the private
    key for the user ASPNET.
    The certificate is installed under local machine account in the folder
    Personals(LOCAL_MACHINE\MY).
    I have no success even after utilizing winhttpcertcfg . I feel that the
    httpwebrequest is somehow not passing the client certificate.
    to the server. I donot want to put this component in COM+ or make any
    changes to Processmodel section of machine.config files.
    Can some body provide more insights into the issue that I am facing?

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGVlcGFr?=, Feb 7, 2005