HTTP1.1/500 Server Error

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Steve Battisti, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Hello all,

    I have .NET working swimmingly on my Win 2K laptop. I'm in
    the process of trying to get it working on my home PC,
    running Win XP Pro.

    IIS installed fine, .NET framework and the software
    installed fine, but here's the situation. Whenever I try
    to create a new web application in Vis Studio .NET 2003, I
    get the following error:

    The web server reported the following error when
    attempting to create or open the Web project located at
    the following URL: 'http://localhost/test'. HTTP 1.1/500
    Server Error'.

    I did some further testing, and found the following:

    -IIS is up, and successfully serves an HTML page I placed
    in wwwroot.
    -IIS will not serve up the iisstart.asp file that's in
    wwwroot - it gets the same HTTP 1.1/500 Server Error
    -I'm logged in as a member of the local administrator
    group
    -The default web site properties match the working IIS on
    my laptop exactly on every screen

    Finally, I tried uninstalling VS 2003, .NET Framework 1.1,
    AND IIS. Then, I reinstalled IIS, and even without
    any .NET stuff at all, I can't get the iistart.asp to come
    up at all.

    Clearly, it looks like something just is missing
    somewhere. Any ideas what it might be?

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Steve Battisti, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Dec 19, 2003

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Dec 19, 2003
  4. See, I knew there was a reason I came here. (^_-) OK, I'll
    try that tonight and let y'all know what happens.

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Steve Battisti, Dec 19, 2003