HttpException (0x80070005): Access denied to 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config'

Rajesh Patel

Hi,

I had problem with the error

HttpException (0x80070005): Access denied to 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config'

in my asp.net web application. My environment was asp.net, windows server
2003 and .net framework 1.1. when I was trying to set security permission
for web application which would be accessible to selected members of domain
users. I was getting above error. I tried all the things on the various
newspost and Microsoft Knowledge base article, but, was not working. The
solutions given in the newspost and knowledgebase was good.

But, addition to that We need to give permission to IIS worker process group
(in my case it was IIS_WPG). Permission was not there. and it works. May be
this is given to some knowledgebase or newspost. I could not able to find
that.

Hope this information helps.

Rajesh Patel