HttpException (0x80070005): Access denied to 'c:\inetpub'

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Dave F., May 13, 2005.

  1. Dave F.

    Dave F. Guest

    I just installed my ASP.NET app on a Win 2k server. I installed the files in
    a folder on D: and setup a virtual directory in IIS Default web.

    We had to install the Framework 1.1 and SP on this computer.When I attempt
    to run this app I get the error mentioned above. I granted ASPNET access to
    the folder on D: with Read & Execute, List Folder Contents and Read
    permissions. The Direcory Security for this app is set as Anonymous access,
    User name: ASPNET, Allow IIS to control password and Integrated Windows
    authentication. The app itself uses Forms authenification.

    This app runs fine on a Win 2003 server.

    Here is the full error received when attempting to run from localhost on the
    Win 2k box:

    Access denied to 'c:\inetpub'. Failed to start monitoring file changes.

    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Access denied to 'c:\inetpub'.
    Failed to start monitoring file changes.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [HttpException (0x80070005): Access denied to 'c:\inetpub'. Failed to start
    monitoring file changes.]
    System.Web.FileChangesMonitor.FindDirectoryMonitor(String dir, Boolean
    addIfNotFound, Boolean throwOnError) +527
    System.Web.FileChangesMonitor.StartMonitoringPath(String alias,
    FileChangeEventHandler callback) +477
    System.Web.Caching.CacheDependency.Init(Boolean isPublic, Boolean
    isSensitive, String[] filenamesArg, String[] cachekeysArg, CacheDependency
    dependency, DateTime utcStart) +1535
    System.Web.Caching.CacheDependency..ctor(Boolean isSensitive, String[]
    filenames, DateTime utcStart) +50
    System.Web.Configuration.HttpConfigurationSystem.GetCacheDependencies(Hashtable
    cachedeps, DateTime utcStart) +154
    System.Web.Configuration.HttpConfigurationSystem.ComposeConfig(String
    reqPath, IHttpMapPath configmap) +697
    System.Web.HttpContext.GetCompleteConfigRecord(String reqpath,
    IHttpMapPath configmap) +434
    System.Web.HttpContext.GetCompleteConfig() +48
    System.Web.HttpContext.GetConfig(String name) +195
    System.Web.CustomErrors.GetSettings(HttpContext context, Boolean
    canThrow) +20
    System.Web.HttpResponse.ReportRuntimeError(Exception e, Boolean canThrow)
    +40
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.FinishRequest(HttpWorkerRequest wr, HttpContext
    context, Exception e) +480

    Thanks in advance......

    Dave F., May 13, 2005

  2. Dave F.

    David Lloyd Guest

    Dave:

    A couple observations. You set the permissions on the folder on D: but the
    error message refers to c:\inetpub.

    The following is a KB article referencing the same error number. There are
    related links at the bottom of this article.

    --
    David Lloyd
    MCSD .NET

    This response is supplied "as is" without any representations or warranties.

    David Lloyd, May 14, 2005

  3. Dave F.

    David Lloyd Guest

    Here is the KB article.