HttpException "Request timed out" - how to handle?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark, Jan 29, 2010.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi...

    We've got some company web forms that can transfer a reasonable amount of
    data (~200k, half in view state and half in a big text blob). The company
    server is running IIS 6/.Net v2.0.50727.

    The thing that's perplexing is that we have 3 people in the office who
    consistently get HttpException "Request timed out" errors on the form when
    everyone else processes it fine (and quickly).

    I've seen a number of posts online about how tricky this kind of thing is to
    diagnose, since this exception can't be trapped and won't give you a stack
    trace of what was executing at the time. Most usually coming to the
    conclusion that the POST got split into multiple packets and that for these 3
    users 1 or more of the packets are going astray.

    The question would be why just those 3 users? We're all sitting inside the
    same office network, going to the same company server, using the same browser
    (IE 8).

    Those same users say that when they take their laptops home and run it from
    there, it works fine. That lends more support to some kind of networking
    issue.

    In the office when it works for someone, it takes just a few seconds (not
    the full ScriptTimeout). This also seems to point to network issues but why
    for just a few people consistently?

    Are there any network settings I should be checking? Even if I get a packet
    sniffer and show the last half of the POST is never acked, it still doesn't
    say what to do about it...

    Any pointers would be appreciated...

    Thanks
    Mark
    Mark, Jan 29, 2010

  2. Mark

    Scott M. Guest

    Since this is isolated to 3 machines (not users), first I would check the
    security settings for those machines. Try setting security levels to the
    minimum and try the POST.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Jan 30, 2010

  3. Hi,

    Can you try to set a longer timeout for the httpruntime to check if it is a
    really timeout issue?
    <httpRuntime executionTimeout="1000" maxRequestLength="2000000" />

    And you can use IIS6 to race the web page
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728367(WS.10).aspx

    --
    Sincerely,

    Vince Xu

    Microsoft Online Support

    --------------------

    Vince Xu [MSFT], Feb 1, 2010
  4. Hello,

    Since I haven't seen your reply after I last posted my reply. Did you
    resolve this?

    --
    Sincerely,

    Vince Xu