HttpException "Request timed out" - how to handle?

Mark

Hi...

We've got some company web forms that can transfer a reasonable amount of
data (~200k, half in view state and half in a big text blob). The company
server is running IIS 6/.Net v2.0.50727.

The thing that's perplexing is that we have 3 people in the office who
consistently get HttpException "Request timed out" errors on the form when
everyone else processes it fine (and quickly).

I've seen a number of posts online about how tricky this kind of thing is to
diagnose, since this exception can't be trapped and won't give you a stack
trace of what was executing at the time. Most usually coming to the
conclusion that the POST got split into multiple packets and that for these 3
users 1 or more of the packets are going astray.

The question would be why just those 3 users? We're all sitting inside the
same office network, going to the same company server, using the same browser
(IE 8).

Those same users say that when they take their laptops home and run it from
there, it works fine. That lends more support to some kind of networking
issue.

In the office when it works for someone, it takes just a few seconds (not
the full ScriptTimeout). This also seems to point to network issues but why
for just a few people consistently?

Are there any network settings I should be checking? Even if I get a packet
sniffer and show the last half of the POST is never acked, it still doesn't
say what to do about it...

Any pointers would be appreciated...

Thanks
Mark

Scott M.

Since this is isolated to 3 machines (not users), first I would check the
security settings for those machines. Try setting security levels to the
minimum and try the POST.

-Scott

Vince Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

Can you try to set a longer timeout for the httpruntime to check if it is a
really timeout issue?
<httpRuntime executionTimeout="1000" maxRequestLength="2000000" />

And you can use IIS6 to race the web page
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728367(WS.10).aspx

--
Sincerely,

Vince Xu

Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
| From: Mark <[email protected]>
| Subject: HttpException "Request timed out" - how to handle?
| Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:44:16 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi...
|
| We've got some company web forms that can transfer a reasonable amount of
| data (~200k, half in view state and half in a big text blob). The
company
| server is running IIS 6/.Net v2.0.50727.
|
| The thing that's perplexing is that we have 3 people in the office who
| consistently get HttpException "Request timed out" errors on the form
when
| everyone else processes it fine (and quickly).
|
| I've seen a number of posts online about how tricky this kind of thing is
| diagnose, since this exception can't be trapped and won't give you a
stack
| trace of what was executing at the time. Most usually coming to the
| conclusion that the POST got split into multiple packets and that for
these 3
| users 1 or more of the packets are going astray.
|
| The question would be why just those 3 users? We're all sitting inside
the
| same office network, going to the same company server, using the same
browser
| (IE 8).
|
| Those same users say that when they take their laptops home and run it
from
| there, it works fine. That lends more support to some kind of networking
| issue.
|
| In the office when it works for someone, it takes just a few seconds (not
| the full ScriptTimeout). This also seems to point to network issues but
why
| for just a few people consistently?
|
| Are there any network settings I should be checking? Even if I get a
packet
| sniffer and show the last half of the POST is never acked, it still
doesn't
| say what to do about it...
|
| Any pointers would be appreciated...
|
| Thanks
| Mark

Vince Xu [MSFT]

Hello,

Since I haven't seen your reply after I last posted my reply. Did you
resolve this?

--
Sincerely,

Vince Xu