HttpException : Unable to validate data

Guest

[Apologies for the duplicate, I posted the first from the wrong email alias]
Hi everyone,

My site is randomly firing off a "ExceptionHttpException : Unable to
validate data. " error on some of its forms at the moment:
-------
HttpException : Unable to validate data.
http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/Members/Private/EditProfile.aspx (Referred
by http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/Members/Private/EditProfile.aspx)
at System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.GetDecodedData(Byte[] buf,
Byte[] modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Int32& dataLength)
at System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString)
-----------
I can't reproduce it myself, but several users and the automatic error
reports that have been generated indicate this. The site isn't running on a
web farm or anything, the application pool isn't being recycled, and I've
tried the standard solutions of specifying a fixed machine
validation/encryption key, and I've also tried disabling the view state mac
entirely, but the problem persists. Does anyone have any ideas what might be
triggering this?

Thanks,

- James
www.developerfusion.co.uk

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi James,

Welcome to the MSDN newsgroup.

As for the "HttpException : Unable to validate data." error you mentioned,
based on my experience, there does exists many threads discussing on this
issue. However, most of them are of the webfarm scenario which dosn't
correctly set the MachineKey.
For your scenario, it seems that the error is caused by something else,
also since the problem is reported by some other end users and you haven't
reproduced it on your side, it'll be a bit hard for us to throubleshoot.
One possible cause I'm thinking is that when our ASP.NET page is requested
by some other single html page or non-asp.net page through POST method,
this could cause viewstate validation failure issue. So is it possible that
some other client user use some other tools or own custom page to do post
to your web page? If all the post are done within the same page or same
application's page through cross-page post-back, it maybe some other
specific problem.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the info. The error is definitely occuring on an ASP.NET page,
posting back to the same ASP.NET page (I've confirmed this with several of
the users). Sometimes the error persists when they click the submission
button again - and sometimes it doesn't.

Any ideas? Thanks!

- James

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

So far I haven't heard any existing issue on this. Can your end users
isolate the problem to some particular pages?

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Yes, the problem seems largely limited to one specific page. Though it has
very very occasionally occured on another.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to track down exactly what is wrong with
the page that is triggering the error - and because of the intermittent
nature of the problem (and the fact I can only test it by making the modified
page "live" on the site) it's a bit of a pain.

Shall I post the ASPX and CS code here?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response James,

Sure, you can post some test pages so that I can perform some tests on my
side though generally it'll be hard to reproduce it.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Am I going to be better off raising a full product support issue to get this
resolved? It's still happening often enough to our users that I really need
to get this sorted :)

- James

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for reply James,

Yes, for such issue, thorough throubleshooting from PSS maybe helpful.
However, I think PSS will also require us to provide a simple reproduce
package for test. Though they can help perform remote debugging , but
that'll be very inconvenient. Also, since currently it can only reproduce
on your end user's side, I think PSS guys will have to remotly connect to
your end users's machine if need to perform runtime debugging at client.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Hi,

Can somebody please comment on the following proposed fixes indicated for
the error discussed in this thread? I'd like your opinions -- are we on the
right track --or is this a red herring we are following here?

We have installed a single-server Sharepoint 2007 FARM (using the advanced
"Complete" option) and enabled our single application on port 80. The
application, features, subpages, and functions, work well except for the
document check-in, check-out, publishing options on any document we have
placed in the shared document webparts on any of our application pages.

When you right-mouse-click on a document and select the "check-out" option,
immediately you will receive an "Unknown Error" message, and the operation
fails. The same error occurs for Check-In, and "Publish" operations on that
document (using the shared documents web part provided by Microsoft).

We have trapped the following error when this occurs:

"Unable to validate data. at
System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.GetDecodedData(Byte[] buf, Byte[]
modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Int32& dataLength) at
System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString)

There is much experience with this same error on the Internet; various
developers are explaining how with a Sharepoint 2007 Farm implementation,
developers need to explicitly define the machine key setting, not allowing
them to autogenerate.

Have researched the following four links that describe this requirement:

http://support.stormhosts.net/showthread.php?p=2521

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/677326.html

http://www.kbalertz.com/Feedback.aspx?kbNumber=313091

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.configuration.machinekeysection.aspx

The main concern I have in following any of these suggestions in repairing
this error that we've encountered with the check-out/check-in and publish
options on a document in the "Shared Documents" web part is that the script
for the Sharepoint 2007 Complete installation did not tell us we needed to
set static machinekeys in web configuration files. So, I would feel
comfortable if I knew others had done the same in this scenario and were
successful.

Thanks, everybody!

--Marie

James Crowley said:
[...]

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

I'll take a chance and comment. I don't see why the machine key encryption
should be the cause. If it were, a lot more than checkin/checkout would
fail. Have you looked at permissions configurations for the users where this
is failing? Check-in/out is basically a file copy. That is where I would
start using a tool like filemon for instance.

Have you also tried removing/deleting the document library and recreating
it? Have you tried running the repair wizard on the site?

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

James Crowley said:
[...]

Hello, Alvin,

We've looked at the file monitor while executing the checkout option;
nothing stood out in particular in the way of a failure on file copy; the
error that we trap, repeatedly, during execution of the "checkout" option on
a document in our shared library, is that httpexection: unable to validate
data...discussed elsewhere on this same thread, as reported by other users
having our configuration. We've reproduced the error twice in our
environment, once on our test server where we initially installed SharePoint
2007 using the "advanced" complete, standalone options -- in a "Farm"
configuration with a single-server, where we created an application on port
80, and then again, using the same configuration on our production server, on
a separate network. In both instances, the SharePoint 2007 installations ran
error-free; in both instances the check-out function, when executed on a
document in the shared document webpart, generated the same exception, as
reported here, and in other threads, repeatedly.

On a separate VM, I did install Share Point 2007 using the "standalone"
option and when I tested the checkout function on a document within the
shared document webpart on the default application created during the
installation, the function worked, error free.

I would request then, that you may wish to attempt to duplicate our error,
in the configuration defined in the scenario outlined in this report -- as
this would reveal if there were an issue with this particular Share Point
2007 configuration, requiring further discovery -- or if there were perhaps a
corruption that may have occurred (unreported) during our installation,
twice, on two separate servers -- on two separate networks.

Thanks very much -- and I appreciate your catching my question on this
forum; this error continues -- and if there were perhaps a software fix in
the future that would address, we would have greater confidence in this
particular configuration going forward with this preferred SharePoint 2007
"advanced complete standalone" farm installation method we have chosen to use.

Regards,

--Marie

James Crowley said:
[...]

This was trapped within SHAREPOINT 2007 DIAGNOSTICS 09/05/2007 15:46 when I
attempted to checkout the document. Clearly shows the error firing
immediately after the checkout function is executed.

Please reply.
Thanks.

--Marie

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS

09/05/2007 15:27:36.65 w3wp.exe (0x0DA8) 0x0D48 Windows SharePoint Services
General 6t8h Verbose Found typical site /
(ed409383-1054-41d6-9ac8-3e30ea5a9c04) in web application SPWebApplication
Name=InfoCenter Parent=SPWebService.

09/05/2007 15:27:36.65 w3wp.exe (0x0DA8) 0x0A00 Windows SharePoint Services
General 0 Verbose Releasing SPRequest with allocation Id
{C5827F61-4410-41B9-BE4D-5664F6FECC03}

09/05/2007 15:27:34.86 w3wp.exe (0x0DA8) 0x0A00 Windows SharePoint Services
General 6t8b Verbose Looking up context site
http://thq-imail:80/_layouts/Checki...-imail/Shared%20Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx
in the farm SharePoint_Config

09/05/2007 15:27:34.86 w3wp.exe (0x0DA8) 0x0A00 Windows SharePoint Services
General 6t8d Verbose Looking up the additional information about the typical
site
http://thq-imail:80/_layouts/Checki...-imail/Shared%20Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx.

09/05/2007 15:27:34.86 w3wp.exe (0x0DA8) 0x0A00 Windows SharePoint Services
General 6t8f Verbose Site lookup is replacing
http://thq-imail:80/_layouts/Checki...-imail/Shared%20Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx
with the alternate access url http://thq-imail.

09/05/2007 15:27:34.86 w3wp.exe (0x0DA8) 0x0A00 Windows SharePoint Services
General 6t8g Verbose Looking up typical site
http://thq-imail:80/_layouts/Checki...-imail/Shared%20Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx
in web application SPWebApplication Name=InfoCenter Parent=SPWebService.

09/05/2007 15:27:34.86 w3wp.exe (0x0DA8) 0x0A00 Windows SharePoint Services
General 6t8h Verbose Found typical site /
(ed409383-1054-41d6-9ac8-3e30ea5a9c04) in web application SPWebApplication
Name=InfoCenter Parent=SPWebService.

09/05/2007 15:27:34.87 w3wp.exe (0x0DA8) 0x0A00 Windows SharePoint Services
General 8nca Verbose Application error when access /_layouts/Checkin.aspx,
Error=Unable to validate data. at
System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.GetDecodedData(Byte[] buf, Byte[]
modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Int32& dataLength) at
System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString)

09/05/2007 15:27:34.87 w3wp.exe (0x0DA8) 0x0A00 Windows SharePoint Services
General 0 Verbose Releasing SPRequest with allocation Id
{FA1A1549-2EC4-4F59-9F4F-588BF30D7A93}

09/05/2007 15:27:34.87 w3wp.exe (0x0DA8) 0x0A00 Windows SharePoint Services
General 0 Verbose Releasing SPRequest with allocation Id
{05FD4796-8A98-42E4-95BA-4246AC9DC302}

09/05/2007 15:27:34.87 w3wp.exe (0x0DA8) 0x0A00 Windows SharePoint Services
General 0 Verbose Releasing SPRequest with allocation Id
{4B1BB8BC-B740-41F6-8501-1D8050480143}

09/05/2007 15:27:34.87 w3wp.exe (0x0DA8) 0x0A00 Windows SharePoint Services
General 0 Verbose Releasing SPRequest with allocation Id
{519ACFB4-484F-4744-AB26-2D3F042BFF3B}

:

[...]

Re-created sharepoint installation in a VM -- end-to-end, minus
customizations of the default master page. This error does not occur on a
fresh, new installation -- (using the advanced, complete options) with the
application running on port 80. In our environment, the default master page
has been modified. For now, this case is CLOSED.

Alvin Bruney said:
[...]

Hi, Alvin -- Thank you very much for your assistance in de-bugging this
problem -- and I'm glad that I DID NOT have to reset machine keys -- as was
indicated by the error. This solution path, as indicated by the error
message originally received from my application, was indeed a red-herring.
The solution path, which was to create a brand new VM with Windows 2003
Server and all patches installed -- with IIS, then install MS SQL 2005 with
all patches, then Sharepoint 2007 with the Advanced - Complete option prior
to creating the new application on port 80 was the correct way to test the
validity of the code. Sharepoint 2007 worked without errors - my site created
without errors; the whole thing was flawless. I did also follow best
practices regarding creating domain users (spadmin, spconfig, and spsearch)
to handle the installation and configuration of the farm services -- which
helped too. So, bottom line -- it was correct to avoid altering machine keys
- this is never the right answer for a Sharepoint2007 installation and we no
longer have the error since creating a new, pristine server environment.

Thanks to Microsoft for coming through on this one. I truly appreciated the
response and support I received in de-bugging this error.

--Marie