HTTPHandler 404 Under Heavy Load

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by news.microsoft.com, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. I have an ASP.NET application that uses both an HTTPModule and several
    HTTPHandlers. This application is running in a web farm environment on
    Windows 2003 Server using NLB.

    Under somewhat heavy load (~25 req/sec) the application begins to return
    HTTP 404 errors for requests of a specific handler. The other handlers
    continue to work fine. This usually happens after about 30 minutes of
    sustained load.

    I don't think it is something in my code because I use this same code (or,
    rather, very, very similar code) in several other applications - including
    applications that handle close to 300 req/sec. I could, of course, be wrong.

    Whatever the issue, it appears to be cumulative. Over the course of several
    hours, eventually all machines in the server farm will start returning
    nothing but 404's for that handler. In addition, once a machine has returned
    a 404 for the handler, it always returns a 404.

    If I recycle the app domain, or if I change the web.config or replace the
    DLL, the application begins to work again.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    RMD
    news.microsoft.com, Jun 16, 2004

  2. For those of you that are interested, this problem is described here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829930

    I obtained a patch from Microsoft and it appears to have fixed the issue.

    RMD

    news.microsoft.com, Jul 21, 2004

  3. news.microsoft.com

    Darren Clark Guest

    Just one quesiton....

    what site is it that is getting 25 requests per sec? that is pretty huge
    that is 1500 hits per minute....
    90,000 per hour.
    2,160,000 per day
    15,120,000 per week...
    you ge the picture.....

    that is an amazing amount of hits...... I would have only thought that sites
    like
    ms.com google ebay etc would get that kind of traffic..

    It boggles the mind to think of a site that can do 300 req/sec
    that is
    18,000 per minute
    1,080,000 per hour
    25,920,000 per day

    dont get me wrong.... i am not saying that you are going over board.... But
    what site out there really gets 300 request per second? even an intranet
    wouldnt hit close ?? or would it?

    Darren Clark, Jul 21, 2004