HttpHandler: context.Request.UrlReferrer is null

Guest

Hi,

I have implemented the IHttpHandler interface for generating images and
writing them to response stream in binary format. I use an
IHttpHandlerFactory to instantiate that handler. A .aspx page sends a request
to the factory which then instantiates an instance of the handler. The
response is read by a third party component that then displays the image.

i.e. inside .aspx page:
-------------------------
3rdPartyComp.ImageURL =
"http:\\localhost\ImageGenerator\image.imgr?x=100&y=200";

(.imgr extension is registered with IIS and is declared in web.config
httphandler section)

While debugging this handler, I came across a weird situation where the
context parameter that gets passed in ProcesRequest module has null value for
the context.Request.UrlReferrer parameter. Other stuff like querystring,
sessionstate (implemented IRequiresSessionState in handler) etc. do exist
though. Needless to say..the HttpInputStream is empty when I tried to view
its contents.

I used 'Fiddler' to track requests sent to the handler but that did not help
much.

Would appreciate if anyone who faced the same issue could help me identify
the missing link.

Thanks